Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Can't tell his age. But that is a big sore on his leg. And a wild set of antlers.

·
NiteShiftUnderground
257 Posts
Don't know his age but he's been hurt since last year at least. You can tell by his screwy left antler. An injury to the right side of a deer often alters antler growth on the left side and vice versa. My first buck, "Stumpy", had his right hind leg shot off @ the hock & completely healed. Very goofy looking rack.

SHOOT HIM!!!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
i dont know how old he is but i think this is his last year he will reach if i saw him. good luck at getting him.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Doesn't look like anything much pass 2.5 to 3.5 yoa...His body is still sleek and young looking including his face...That injury is what caused the rack to go crazy...I would take him regardless, but it appears he's in pain so all the more reason to arrow him this year...!

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Poor guy.

That leg doesn't look good. Looks like an old injury but look at the position of the tail...... :cry: he's hurt'n. I saw a pic on another board and it was of a doe w/ 2fawns she was missing her front leg. I think I would rather be an amputie than to have the infection that buck has:cry: . I would take that buck the first chance I got.:killpain:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Deer

It's even beyong hunting or herd management. That poor fella needs to be put down for his own good. That tail is buckled way under...probably intense pain in that joint.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Remove him, his injoury resulted in his wacky headgear. Might as well end it for him, if you need help I could drive that way!:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Id estimate 3.5yrs, probably unable to breed anyway, thats an old injury, but probably this years.
It looks like the leg was busted and that the bone healed into a big callous knot.

I dont know about that opposite rack to injury theory.

But I would imagine he favors his good side, thus he is banging the developing horns into more brush and stuff as they formed this time around.
Hes obviously not agile enough anymore to duck brush, limbs, fences, etc.
So his good side is taking a beating at every step as they grew.

Of course i could also picture a car striking him in the right rear and knocking his developing rack on the pavement on the left as a more likely cause,
it takes quite a bit i would imagine, to push that main beam back all the way at the base.

Hes obviously still feeding and fat. Right at shooting age anyway.
If the opportunity presents take him.

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
I'd guess him to be 2.5 yrs. And I'd guess he got hit by a car or something when he was in velvet. His leg looks real sore and it doesn't look like he uses it at all. Whack him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts