Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly certain this deer was the fork horn a friend of mine shot at last gun season with a 12ga slug. Leading up to the hunt this deer was a daily, several times per day, model for my cameras on this part of the property. He lived there. After being shot at he disappeared. My friend thought he missed but since the deer never came back, I figured he was wounded and died elsewhere. Looks like he survived, minus a big bald spot and 12ga size hole. The bottom pic is the exit wound, which matches exactly the way my friend said the deer was facing.

I'm going to keep an eye on him over the summer to see what his rack becomes. Nubs look normal so far, albeit stunted compared to the other bucks. He's also very skinny, almost emaciated, but seems on the mend.

Any predictions on what his rack might look like? He'll be 2.5yrs in fall and is a southern Ohio buck where they usually have some size by then.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Probably less of an increase in size than normal due to nutrients going to his body first. Not sure if there would be any abnormal growth as it's difficult to tell from the pics if there was skeletal damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with CalCoHunter. I have not noticed any abnormal antler growth without skeletal damage. We have seen quite a few that grew abnormally due to leg and shoulder issues, but I have not noticed any due to a backstrap type of injury.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I did same with 300 weatherby. Earn a buck needed buck tag did not realize it was a nubby till I saw him in December with huge bald spot. Grew a typical 19 inch wide 9 point at 3.5. Found shed from his 2.5year rack when we built our house a mile away from where I shot him. I killed him at 3.5 130 lbs dressed scored mid 130s. Could still see bullet wound in hide and back when butchering.

·
Mark
5,837 Posts
I killed a buck years ago that his left rear leg was gone as the knee, healed over. His left antler was a normal 4 point and his right antler shot straight out and had a duck foot looking web on the end. Always heard rear leg injuries effect opposite side antler, did in this case.

Reactions: hookedonbow

·
Registered
535 Posts
I agree with CalCoHunter. I have not noticed any abnormal antler growth without skeletal damage. We have seen quite a few that grew abnormally due to leg and shoulder issues, but I have not noticed any due to a backstrap type of injury.
This has been what I've seen as well. If a shoulder or some part of the leg has a substantial injury then the opposite side antler will suffer and be a dark colored stub with no points that is usually turned down or to the side. Right side leg injured, left side antler effected; left side leg injured, right side antler effected.
An injury to the animal that is not the leg I would assume that antler growth wouldn't get the normal nutrients and they would simply appear "as normal" but be smaller.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have definitely seen the phenomenon that back leg injuries tend to affect the opposite side antler. We have seen deer that end up having only a beam on the off side to growing a stubby off side that has 15pts on it. We had a buck a couple years ago that broke his front shoulder (assumed to be during fight) that was a nice 3.5 old mainframe 12. The following year, he looked terrible and had a smaller rack with probably 20 points total. He died a couple weeks into the season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts