Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am getting back into archery after several years away. I built a press years ago, http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1574386 , but I am looking to build another one, no weld.

I read threads today until I was cross-eyed, and really appreciated them all, especially FauxFly's and Bow Bender's. But I still had a couple of questions.

Thoughts on side vs top handle jacks? It seems like the top crank design eliminates some interference issues setting up a small winch for the draw board.

Any specific jacks you found that were tighter than the HF, reducing the need for shimming?

Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I can't contribute much, but I will say that if you are looking for a winch for your Draw board, look into Archery Dezign's winch. It's around $85.00 but it takes up so much less space and works so much better than a boat winch does. It has the anti reverse feature that is necessary in building a draw board. I'm waiting on him to machine more parts right now so I can order one. Look them up, may just be what you could incorporate into your newest press. Lookong forward to following this thread and gaining some more ideas for my own personal shop. Love this DIY section!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't contribute much, but I will say that if you are looking for a winch for your Draw board, look into Archery Dezign's winch. It's around $85.00 but it takes up so much less space and works so much better than a boat winch does. It has the anti reverse feature that is necessary in building a draw board. I'm waiting on him to machine more parts right now so I can order one. Look them up, may just be what you could incorporate into your newest press. Lookong forward to following this thread and gaining some more ideas for my own personal shop. Love this DIY section!
That is a sweet looking winch. I had done a search for mini winches on Amazon and found this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007CVS2D2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1U5I9D90J5SAR&colid=1HXMNKMYXN7XL&psc=0 . I wonder if anyone has tried it.

Also, just for clarification, when I referenced the top crank winch, I meant one that is cranked from the top for it's original purpose on a trailer. On a press, it would actually be on the side and rotate perpendicular to the press. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4PWUR1/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IXV44LZBV3B8T&colid=1HXMNKMYXN7XL&psc=0 .

·
YouThinkIcan't?!WatchMe
7,102 Posts
That is a sweet looking winch. I had done a search for mini winches on Amazon and found this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007CVS2D2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1U5I9D90J5SAR&colid=1HXMNKMYXN7XL&psc=0 . I wonder if anyone has tried it.

Also, just for clarification, when I referenced the top crank winch, I meant one that is cranked from the top for it's original purpose on a trailer. On a press, it would actually be on the side and rotate perpendicular to the press. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4PWUR1/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IXV44LZBV3B8T&colid=1HXMNKMYXN7XL&psc=0 .
Not trying to point you toward my product. Just an honest opinion. That 2" winch is not as small as you think it might be. It is designed for 2" wide strap. And it's heavy. I used to have pictures of it so people can compare how big it is , but I can't find them at the moment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not trying to point you toward my product. Just an honest opinion. That 2" winch is not as small as you think it might be. It is designed for 2" wide strap. And it's heavy. I used to have pictures of it so people can compare how big it is , but I can't find them at the moment.
i sent you an email through your site....check it out and let me know.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the input everyone. You are right Outsider, that winch is bigger than I originally thought. However, I got to put my hands on one at Norther tool today and I am going to give it a shot. I ordered the top wind jack and found some 3" aluminum u channel locally. I will see how it all looks when I mock it up.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
They have a listing on ebay. They look awesome, one of the nicest I've seen. $175 shipped

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
I just bought a top wind drop leg 8000 lb. Jack off ebay for $53 it was cheaper than the 3000 lb one without the drop leg that I was looking at. Haven't received it yet but it should work fine

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
IMG_1639.PNG

this is what I did...........cost 13 dollars for winch and maybe another 6 dollars for cord and turnbuckle, had the strut laying around

1 - 11 of 11 Posts