Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can Fletch Tite Platinum be used for inserts?? The shop used hot melt and the inserts are pulling out.

·
Registered
301 Posts
yes it cna but there Power bond glue works better or Goat Tuff.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I use Devcon 2 part epoxy. I have never had any problems, and you can get it at just about any store. The only drawback is once glued, you can't get the insert out if needed. I also use a arrow prep tool to rough up the inside of the shaft before gluing. Another good thing is that Devcon is pretty cheap. Tony

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I was just curious because I have some of the Platinum and would rather use it if I could instead of having to go out and buy something else.

·
Registered
726 Posts
It doesn't dry fast enough and it probably wouldn't hold if did harden. I had some arrows cut at the local "pro" shop and they used the Platnium stuff. It says on the label for gluing fletching. Needless to say, it didn't work. Use an epoxy like Goat Tuff, or Gorilla Glue. Elmers makes a good one too - can't remember the names - has the bull on the label.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Fletch tite is for fletchings not inserts. If you are gluing inserts into carbon shafts go with goat tuff or something like it. If you are using aluminum shafts the hot melt glue is still about the best, aside from epoxy.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have had the best results with the crafters style hot melt glue. It seems to not get brittle and I have never lost a point or insert since switching to it. Good luck!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have had good luck with super glue types amd gorrilla glue. I have yet to try epoxy's but I hear there good as well.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
cheap hot melt glue works for me....

Like someone else mentioned...I go to the craft section at wal mart and get like 20 glue sticks for like 2 bucks and have used that for years. Shoot a LOT of 3-D and don't have any nibbs come out. I do use the High Temp variety....Only bad thing I have found out about Super Glue is that it's TOO good. If I mess up an arrow I want to save the nibb and you just about can't get a nibb out that has been super glued in. I don't know about Goat Tuff...but I think it's pretty good too.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
The gorilla glue is real strong, though i've never tried reversing it.

Powerbond works real well too, and it is reversable by getting it real hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts