Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I need somebody to help me. I recently purchased PSE Dominator arrows (100s) for my wife. We went out and shot the field course at our club and the inserts came out of all of her arrows! Her draw weight is probably a wopping 35lbs.

I actually reglued a bunch of them using Power Bond, but they are still coming out. Now, here is the kicker. This is the third set of arrows that we had this problem with and they were all purchased at the same shop. My arrows, also PSE were purchased elsewhere and I have had no problems.

What the heck is going on? Could it be the insert? Are there different ones that will fit PSE arrows? Is there something inside the shaft. I roughed up the insides and cleaned it with 91% alcohol. Some of the inserts fit pretty loosely inside the shafts.

Please help. I know, shame on me for buying again from these guys. I was trying to support my local shop.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Peter first you need to stop using the 91% alcohol I contains oils in it you need to use denatured alcohol to clean the shaft and use a epoxy to glue the inserts in with that should solve your problems I use the same pse shafts and doing it like this, there has never been a problem

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Denatured alcohol? What is that and where do you get it?

·
Registered
539 Posts
91% Isopropol Alcohol doesn't contain oils. That is why Easton recommends using it. Rubbing Alcohol, however does contain oils.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
inserts

Tell the shop you bought the arrows from they got a problem. If they don't solve it go to a different shop. I have used isopropyl RUBBING alcohol and never had an insert come loose. 24 hour epoxy is the way to go for glue.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Denatured alcohol

Can be purchased from any hardware store. $2-$3 for a quart. I've had great luck gluing inserts with devcon epoxy. It doesn't shrink when it dries.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Our shop usually cleans the inside with isopropol alcohol first and we glue them in with the FastSet by AAE. We have very few inserts come out with this method. And it only takes about 5 seconds to dry. :D Just don't glue your fingers together.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
90% and higher Isopropyl alcohol is free of oils. The rubbing alcohol you get at the Drug store is not. We use 99% at the shop, to clean out the inside of the shafts after cutting. Then use 2 part, 24hr cure epoxy. It works great... just be sure you don't need to remove them later. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
use a groovy tool made by precision designed products.
It will put small grooves inside your arrow shafts and you
should have no more problems with your inserts.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
KJ33 said:
use a groovy tool made by precision designed products.
It will put small grooves inside your arrow shafts and you
should have no more problems with your inserts.
What is this tool? Why am I putting "grooves" in my carbon? This doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Use "Goat Tuff" adhesive and you won't have any more problems with your inserts coming out. You also won't be able to get them out even if you want to, LOL. That's what I've been using for about 1 year, and haven't lost an insert since I've been using "GT".
Hope this helps. I also clean my PSE Carbon Force Extremes with 91% alcohol, and don't have any problems. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Jay,
That groovy tool helps create surface area for the glue to bond better. It looks just like a brass rifle bore brush in fact that is exactly what it is. This is recommended by manufacture. well at least it is from carbon express.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I use Loctite 480. No preparation required and they don't come out, even on the PSE shafts.

I have used the Groovy tool in the past, don't need to now with the 480, and have found you can damage a shaft if you are not careful.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Groovy tool is a professional tool. The small grooves that it puts into the carbon shaft is so the glue has something to adhere to becasue the shaft is so smooth. It does not harm or hurt the carbon arrow at all.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Kevin

Rugby said:
I use Loctite 480. No preparation required and they don't come out, even on the PSE shafts.

I have used the Groovy tool in the past, don't need to now with the 480, and have found you can damage a shaft if you are not careful.
Can I buy the Loctite 480 at local hardware or Wal-Marts? Might give it a try.

Right now I use Goat Tuff on all my inserts... I rough the inside with a bore brush... clean with acetone. But I like the sound of ... NO PREP.... more time for FUN:D . Thanks. WR

·
Registered
852 Posts
The Groovy tool is a great tool however it requires the internal diameter of the shaft you are working on to be a certain size.
Not all shafts are created equal.

If the ID of the shaft is smaller than it should be then the Groovy tool can pick up the first layer of carbon when you are using it. You have to watch out for that.

Using the Loctite requires zero preparation, just cut them to length, de-burr the end of the shaft and stick in the insert. When you are doing a lot of arrows is saves a lot of time. The arrows are able to be shot in less than ten minutes.

If you are just making arrows for yourself then time is not an issue if an insert/point pulls out then it is just your problem.

When that arrow is a customers then its their problem and your problem, not a situation you want to have. Thats why I use the 480.

I do not kniow where you would buy it in the US. Ball bearing suppliers stock it over here. It is not cheap but a small bottle will last a long time.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
sotg said:
Jay,
That groovy tool helps create surface area for the glue to bond better. It looks just like a brass rifle bore brush in fact that is exactly what it is. This is recommended by manufacture. well at least it is from carbon express.
OK, I can buy the roughing up thing, we have that tool at the shop. I just hadn't heard it called a "Groovy tool" before. I thought it to cut small grooves in the arrow ...lol Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts