Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twenty years ago I used to shoot instinctively with my Bear Whitetail bow. Now I own a Mathews and I'm thinking of going back to shooting with out sights. Does anyone else shoot instinctively? Do you think I'm crazy for even thinking about it? Give me some feedback. Thanks

·
Registered
711 Posts
Stuck1Buck said:
Twenty years ago I used to shoot instinctively with my Bear Whitetail bow. Now I own a Mathews and I'm thinking of going back to shooting with out sights. Does anyone else shoot instinctively? Do you think I'm crazy for even thinking about it? Give me some feedback. Thanks
Yes. I think you are crazy ;)

I did this for about a year and to maintain my accuracy I had to shoot every day.

Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I personally do not shoot my compound this way. I do have a friend who shoots a mathews icon instinctively. He shoots it just like it was a recurve, uses a ramp and plunger style rest and cants the bow. He shoots out to about 30 yards nearly as good as any of us on this forum. Hey it works for him I say give it a try, you never know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been shooting instintivly for 16 years and been teaching instintive shooting to my high school classes for the past 12 years. I was first told to see through and beyond the point of impact, if you could do that, thats where you start. Than shoot one arrow untill you lose it, look for it awhile think about what your doing out there go get 2 more arrows, same process, by the time you lose 6 arrows you should be right at 20 yards from the target. Shoot the 6 remaining arrows untill the anoizing comes off of the arrow. If your still in a positive frame of mind start throwing a baseball at different targets around the yard, arrows follow the same flight pattren and its iinstinctive aiming. Get your bow step back not to far not too close pick a spot, draw, anchor, blur the riser/arrow, focus on the spot, when it feel good relax the fingers, shoulder blades come togather, follow through, see the impact, relax the bow arm, move to a different spot repete the process and let it happen. Have fun.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I don't, but my brother swears by it and he kills alot of deer. Good luck man!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys for the inputs. I think I'm going to try it, if it does not work out I can always go back to sights. And there is a plus side to it all, I get to shoot my bow! If anything, it will be that more of a challange to get the quarry.

·
M4L
2,153 Posts
Shooting with out sights

Hey Stuck 1, Are syou sure that you want to shoot instinktivly(SP), are you planning on snap shooting a compound?? Not a very accurate way of shooting in my book to shoot a compound (my opionion, not wanting to start a war with my tradionalist brethern), you might want to gap shoot, not hard to learn just takes some practice to perfect. If you want to learn more then PM me and I will give you some insight to the method. I have been at it for over 30 yrs and have done well in 3-D, Field Archery, Indoor and Huntng.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I agree with the gap shooting. This is the method I use with a recurve. I might shoot instinctive if its 10-15 yards since those are chip shots anyway.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
if you are going to shoot your compound (mathews) instinctively i would adjust the arrow so that it comes up closer to your eye. when using my recurve i shoot split finger but using my compound w/o sites i use 3 fingers under. i also gap shoot versus instinctively shoot. i used to think i was instinctively shooting but ive come to realize that i do distance the tip of the arrow above or below my aiming point as referece. its a fun way to shoot. challenging. you have great field of vision and you can those arrows off quickly!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts