Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am aware that this might have been discussed and discussed earlier but I only have a question you can answer with yes or no

Is the 3 finger draw bellow the arrow best aiming practice?
Thank you

·
Registered
639 Posts
there is ZERO advantage of shooting split finger over 3 under (instinctive or gaping) unless you shooting past 50 yards regularly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
If your aiming, I don't think you're shooting instinctive. That's good. Either is OK. YOu can shoot further shooting split, because your fist won't cover the target. Whether that's an advantage depends on your point on.

Bowmania

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I said "Aiming" what I had in mind was some kind of transition in acquiring a skill to shoot an arrow from a recurve or a Longbow where mental
picture of target and arrow would become one and the same and where the "feeling" of yes this is right" before releasing the arrow becomes
norm for the Archer giving him enough of the confidence to competently shoot. I shoot compounds and recurve but the degree of confidence
I have shooting the compound does not exist when I shoot recurve or longbow. Hope this clarifies "Aiming" and instinctive.
thanks again
Al

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I agree with cubefx. I run 3 under until I get out to 50 yards. Three under lines the arrow up better with the eye at your hunting distances, like 30 yards and less hands down. If you haven't shot 3 under, it might take a couple practice sessions to get used to it. Lunger

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Bowmania, you are aiming in instinctive shooting. Unless the shooter is blind you are right, he is not aiming.
Shoot how you feel comfortable, split or 3 fingers.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Tried three under and tried and tried but I just come back to split.Shooting only short range three under has def. advantages over split.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I should preface this by saying that for my style of shooting for the past 55 years, whether at 10 or at 70 yards, 3 under offers my no advantage over split finger. I do find significant advantages with split for me. Not to confuse things, but I wish I had learned thumb draw because it may have advantages over the others.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Actually it is an advantage. If you have an arrow with a loose nock and you MUST shoot it, you will keep the arrow on the string with split finger, not so much with 3 under.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Started split-finger with a semi-recurve in 1966. In 1989 started with finger release compound bows (shot split-finger). First release aids for me were string nock, arrow nock, and the release aid under the arrow nock similar to shooting fingers three under. Worked fine, but caused a number of minor issues due to entire pressure under the arrow nock. Improved by placing a second string nock beneath the arrow nock to block upward pressure from the release aid.

My perception was that almost overnight every archery book, magazine article, and video was ballyhooing the superiority of the string loop placing string pressure both above and below the arrow nock. I do not know whether this was a discovery, rediscovery, or just a craze. In my case the string loop seemed much better. I used a string loop until I left compound bows. First two string nocks plus string loop, then upper string nock plus loop, finally only a string loop.

When I committed exclusively to recurves and longbows, I naturally continued split-finger. I have never given 3-under a fair chance because my brief forays have felt so uncomfortable to me. It feels less controlled. I can shoot some fun shots split-finger without any string nock while adjusting a new bow string. One can lay the arrow on the rest, slide the arrow nock back to engage the string, and use one’s engrained shooting form with split-finger oblivious to the missing string nock. It works surprising well, at least at close ranges. 3-under also raises the arrow nock up too close to my eye for my shooting pleasure plus I also had some problems with a sore nose.

I believe 3-under is probably more accurate. I certainly can’t dismiss Rick Welch, Rod Jenkins, and many other fantastic archers. I participate in archery only for personal pleasure. Within my specific needs for adequate accuracy at 20-yards or under, I prefer to choose the overall shooting/hunting experience that is the most fun for me. If target accuracy and game acquisition remained my highest overriding ultimate objectives, then I would return to hunting from a treestand with a compound bow equipped with sights, an elevated rest, and a release aid.

No one else should be forced to shoot by the methods I happen to like best for my maximum pleasure. I prefer split-finger without any important incentive to change. Others should shoot using the method that gives them the maximum satisfaction.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
3 - under is definitively more accurate.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Actually it is an advantage. If you have an arrow with a loose nock and you MUST shoot it, you will keep the arrow on the string with split finger, not so much with 3 under.
Perhaps.

But what the heck are you doing that you are either hunting or competing while so poorly equipped that you only have arrows that have loose messed up incorrect nocks, and you are in a situation that you MUST, life or death, shoot it?

Even shooting split, you're just begging for a dry fire, and a missed shot.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
I resisted three under for 4 decades

Now that I shoot 3 under I would never switch back unless shooting a sight which due to pin setup works better with split

The only advantage I can see for split with a barebow is horseback archery

It says something that the top barebow shooters in the world shoot three under

1 - 20 of 37 Posts