Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few popular options.
Sitka in the lead,. But will it be full of burrs and stuff in one use?

First lite sanctuary? How does it compare?

Kryptech heavy insulation is on sale, does it compare with the others??

Predator ambush looks like a good option but, the reviews on sizing seem poor?

Any one have the answer, or will it be like a bow brand, broadhead thread??

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Back down to ground level
16,098 Posts
I've worn something like this coverall for decades, few different brands, with sweater and sweatshirt underlayers, and stayed warm in the negative teens. Out all day in negative temps, and belly crawled/laid in snow. No heat loss around mid section, and cold/snow doesn't get in. Stayed out all morning in snow up to my crotch during a blizzard. Left only because my buddies were back in the truck after an hour and waiting for me.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...hunt-coveralls-waterproof-insulated?a=1812508

·
Registered
506 Posts
are you wanting one jacket to keep you warm? i spent good money on a jacket that was water proof, wind proof, and quiet, but found layers are the best way to regulate my temperature. my bibs over or under my sweat shirt also effects how much heat i trap. makes it a pain to get ready and take a leak... but works for me.

- base layer
- sweat shirt (i like the hood to keep my harness from rubbing my neck)
- vest
- jacket

ill often walk out without the jacket on and throw it on right before climbing my tree. when its really cold i opt for a layer of wool instead of the vest. and when its REALLY cold the heated vest comes out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rober is right. Layer it up.

As for specific brands, I have found Cabela's brand gear to be both effective and reasonably priced. They're more expensive options if the MT050 gear, which is incredibly warm and waterproof, but a jacket costs $300.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
If I wear all my layers, including my boots, hat, hand muff, and face mask, I've spent less than most Sitka jackets alone.

A thermal underwear(doesn't need to be anything fancy IMO), fleece mid layer(this is where I spent the most money), and an insulated camo jacket from Farm and Fleet keep me in the woods below zero.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at Sitka Last night at Scheels.
Got my size figured out.
Thought after Christmas I will get a fanatic jacket.
But I stopped to look at gloves..
100$..
I just can't do it..
I have always layered in the past.
Had economy insulated bibs Bass pro and a Carhartt copy Cabela's coat..

I guess I will stick with that for now..
I may keep an eye out for some post season deals..

Most of the time I fill my tag before it gets much below freezing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I have a set of insulated bibs by Arctic Shield, a Cabelas hooded pull over, boot blankets, a balaclava hood, and glove/mittens all jammed into a duffle I carry into my stand. I walk in wearing top and bottom base layers, jeans, thinsulated boots, and my favorite insulated jacket. This works well for me into the low 20s F.

For colder weather, I have a home made Heater Body Suit, which is simply the ultimate for cold weather stand hunting. My home made version has its own duffle bag for the carry in and out.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Sitka Fanatic jacket and bibs - find it on sale and you will not regret it. One of the best hunting investments I have made. Perfect for any days under 40 degrees. Wear warm boots and a reasonable base layer and you are good for almost any temp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have to agree with most of you, if you layer right, you don't need fancy name gear. But I do think cabelas has better cold gear than bass pro.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I've had the Fanatic and Sanctuary bibs both and personally prefer the Sanctuary by far. Won't pick up burrs like the Fanatics. That being said Cabelas has the MT050 bibs on sale for a $150 right now and you would be hard pressed to get more bang for your buck with those.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It is really kind of a crazy "debate". If you have a lot of money to spend on cloths, then go for Sitka and even try a couple different versions. You will quickly have $1,000 or more in it. If you are on a budget (and tree stand hunt) spend $300 on an Iwom or HBS and wear whatever you want under it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I wear merino wool base layers, a merino wool pullover and Cabela's rush creek pants on my way to tree. Once I've climbed I wait for the sweat to cool a bit then start adding layers. I usually wear a cabelas wooltimate vest over the pullover and then a thicket jacket over that, usually a cabelas 4most with WindShear. That keeps me pretty warm. I'm kinda an orangutan
in that I'm 6'1" but my arms are 37" so finding clothes that fit are a challenge. I end up ordering and returning quite a bit of stuff.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sitka is the only top of the line camo i feel comfortable spending money on because i trust what i am getting... hard to justify for some but worth every penny in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts