Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I looked at TopHat Archery's website and found that they produce and sell a 120 grain point for VAP arrows, meaning a g nock size internal diameter.

I was intrigued and asked about heavier than this in that diameter as I am currently using 140 grain points in my arrows in stainless steel. The shank length is quite long on these and would preclude their use in some situations. Not currently looking to buy different points but was wondering if the option would be there if I felt the hole burning in my pocket.

The response I got was that there hadn't been any real interest expressed for a heavier point than this in that size and that should interest arise they may consider making them.

So I ask, would you be interested in a tungsten point greater than 120 grains for this size of arrow? Just wondering if I am looking for something that nobody else would want.

·
Genesis 21:20
20,766 Posts
Some time in early 2004, I heard a guy in Indiana was hand-tooling 125 grain tungsten points for A/C/E's. When I learned about that, I realized they would solve a couple of issues for me personally and was intrigued, so I bought some. Jason McKittrick actually mailed me 2 doz. prior to the Oly. trials and I put them in my A/C/E's. Funny story - when I saw Jason at the trials on the practice day, I paid him for those points. He said "now if you start beating me with those I'm going to ask for them back" as he accepted my payment. I laughed and told him I doubt he had to worry about that. Fast-forward to day 3, and I'm ahead of Jason in 3rd place, and beat him in both of our head-to-head matches. Being the gentleman he is, he never asked for them back. I went on to shoot those 125 grain tungsten points in my A/C/E's in Athens, and still have a few today. I know that they were being produced for at least 2 years after that, but haven't seen them since.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Genesis 21:20
20,766 Posts
Yup, I'd seen those. However, just to 120 grains. I did see that they have X10 tungsten points to 150 grains and stainless A/C/E-sizes points to 140 grains though! Yikes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts