Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an avid outdoorsman and archer, however, I am very green when it comes to hunting with recurve bows. By the time fall of 2021 rolls around I would like to be comfortable enough to kill a deer out to 20 yards with traditional gear. I will be on a budget, so keep that in mind. I’d like to get a bow that is no more than $300.
Any advice on this subject will be appreciated,
Thanks, Isaac

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,171 Posts
The question gets answered daily in the traditional section of this site, lots of information and advice on how to shoot from some of the top shooters in the world.

If you search that section and read the stickies that will get you started. You have a bunch of good options.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Move down to the fifth subforum. You'll get all the info you need.

And I'm right there with you, I love the traditional side.

Here's a direct link:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Get on YouTube and watch “the push” it’s a little long but very informative. He goes over everything you need to know to get started.

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I’ll check out the Trad section, don’t know if I actually knew there was one. Thanks

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mathewsman! I’ll check out Push on YouTube

·
Registered
24,101 Posts
I shot trad archery for over 30 years and loved it. Sadly it took a toll on my shoulders and I am now shooting compound bows to remain in this sport that I love. I started with a Shakespeare recurve at 45#@28, drawing 29"....so nearly 50#. Today you have the great benefit of the ILF system of interchangable limbs that allows you to purchase a riser of the style and length you prefer, then purchasing limbs that fit your immediate needs. For $300 I would look at Lancaster archery for maybe a Samick wood riser and then start shopping trad classifieds for limbs. That way you get get a bow setup that you can handle well right now with the goal of moving up with poundage later in the summer. Being "over-bowed" is a major issue in trad archery and is manifest by short drawing or snap-shooting....both are problematic for consistency. There is no shame is starting light in poundage....developing good form.....then moving up a bit for more poundage to hunt. Two sets of ILF limbs would be the avenue I would take today.....and you don't need to buy both from the onset.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Being "over-bowed" is a major issue in trad archery and is manifest by short drawing or snap-shooting....both are problematic for consistency. There is no shame is starting light in poundage....developing good form.....
So, so, SO true. 👍

·
Registered
234 Posts
Best thing to do is....Don't Start! One thing you will learn is that a Pretty Bow will not shoot any better than an Ugly Bow LOL

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Start at low poundage 30-40 pounds and develop good form and a shot. Then move up towards your desired hunting weight slowly as your skills and form develop. A good ILF recurve would be a good place to start as you can buy higher poundage limbs at a reasonable price as your “traditional” muscles develop. You can sell the lower poundage ILF limbs off in the classifieds to offset the cost of stronger limbs. When you hit your number or the hunting poundage that works for you then you can buy another Recurve or just keep the ILF recurve.

Definitely buy used.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Pick up a lower weight bow and find someone who teaches basic archery form as a first step. Make sure the instructor understands how back tension relates to stickbow shooting. I'd also recommend "Masters of the Barebow 3" DVD for decent form reference.

Do not take advice from anyone who uses the phrase "burn a hole" as their fix to almost everything. Youtube is full of morons, so use common sense on whose opinions you take as fact.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts