Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the afternoon to check out a few prospective spots for next year. Found a few remnants of the EHD from last year and basically was a standard outing. Switched a few camera cards and didn't find much for mature deer. On my way into one spot, I saw something that caught my eye. In the crotch of a tree I saw what looked like the butt of a gunstock. Sure enough, this is what I found. Looks to have been there for a long time as it has the barrel fully enveloped by the tree and the stock is cracking due to the pressures on it. Not sure what caliber it is, but it's bigger than a .22. Kindof a somber sight. A guys gotta wonder why it was ever left.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Cool find. If you can pull it out, you're the chosen one

·
El Jefe De Equipo Mongrel
15,023 Posts

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
That's pretty cool...bet there is a story behind that...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks like this is evidence of big foot...poor hunter!

Seriously though that's a crazy find. Hope the person who left it behind is ok. Would love to find out the story somehow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not far from my house actually, but a place you have to mean to get to. Off the beaten path for sure.

Haha I haven't even tried to pull it out. Never held other's guns unless offered, and the habit will continue with this one. It just feels right to leave it alone.

Been hunting this creek line for 3 years now and haven't come across it until today

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has a composite stock and a flip up sight. The bolt is just a bit over 3" long. There seems to be a "score this deer" thread every couple of hours, so does anyone have an idea as to what it is? Haha. I really don't have much experience with guns, I geek out more on old cars and motorcycles myself, so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Definitely no point in pulling it out its useless. Pretty neat to see it there. I'm sure someone set it down and forgot where. Sure he funny if they were on this forum. Haha

·
El Jefe De Equipo Mongrel
15,023 Posts
Definitely no point in pulling it out its useless. Pretty neat to see it there. I'm sure someone set it down and forgot where. Sure he funny if they were on this forum. Haha
you know the guy told everyone he set it down and it got stolen.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Man that is really cool!!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
thCAWGWPWP.jpg

Dang it! So thats where I left it LOL

·
Keith Karr
1,837 Posts
Sure looks odd that the barrel is that far into the tree.

Wonder if the barrel was cut off or something...just doesn't seem possible that the tree could have grown the full length of the barrell and the rest of the rifle is still so exposed.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts