Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I don't know the date of that video but I can tell you the 3 blade Rage was quickly found out to be a piece of junk. Poor penetration and broken blades as shown in the test. Just about everyone quickly switched to 2 blades and have a little better success. I do not use them. Better heads to choose from.

·
Jesus Follower
16,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the date of that video but I can tell you the 3 blade Rage was quickly found out to be a piece of junk. Poor penetration and broken blades as shown in the test. Just about everyone quickly switched to 2 blades and have a little better success. I do not use them. Better heads to choose from.
The video was uploaded this month. Rage needs to take that design back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
My nephew Use them it was his first year bow hunting. I told him to stop using them. And to come over to the house. But he's been a no show so far. I could help him a lot.

There's so much BS beat in hunters heads threw TV. Sometimes they just got to learn. What I took away from this video is what I do with every new head. I test it and test it then I test it :).

·
Jesus Follower
16,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My nephew Use them it was his first year bow hunting. I told him to stop using them. And to come over to the house. But he's been a no show so far. I could help him a lot.

There's so much BS beat in hunters heads threw TV. Sometimes they just got to learn. What I took away from this video is what I do with every new head. I test it and test it then I test it :).
I got that from this video as well.......also.....I'm hungry for beef ribs :D

·
Jesus Follower
16,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to see this same test with a variety of mechanical heads. If you can find an unbiased person to do it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I would like to see this same test with a variety of mechanical heads. If you can find an unbiased person to do it.
There is a guy on Bowsite that did a sh_t load of broadhead tests. As far as I can see they were done very credibly. If you are subscribed to that forum do a search and you will probably find them It's A LOT!

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
I was happy with what I saw last year using the FOC. No broke blades a few bent but there 1 1/2" each. And 4 dead deer. There going to tip my arrows again next year.

·
SWAMP GANGSTER
3,998 Posts
I used the 3 blade rage back in my vert days for awhile, they were a throw away head. They always flew great but the blades would shear through the ferrule when they hit bone.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
A friend of mine works with The Michigan Deer Track n Hounds and told me the other day that they help track more deer shot with Rage broadheads than any other broadhead,,,Maybe because they are the most popular broadhead, IDK, but something to think about....

Mike

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Meaningless ... to Rage users. They have rose colored glasses on so tinted that all they see is "Ray Charles blood trails on a snow covered hillside."

·
SWAMP GANGSTER
3,998 Posts
Meaningless ... to Rage users. They have rose colored glasses on so tinted that all they see is "Ray Charles blood trails on a snow covered hillside."
Reminds me of what the slick trick mag did on my last day doe!

Attachments

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Reminds me of what the slick trick mag did on my last day doe!
Slick Trick ..."All the broadhead you'll ever need." (as long as they fly right out of your 380fps+ bow)
slicktits2640x480.jpg 1128091232.jpg Feeder stand @1-2-10.jpg ST-EL#3@10-22-09.jpg

·
SWAMP GANGSTER
3,998 Posts
Never thought I would shoot fixed heads again until I started making my own arrows and finding what works. The 135 orion throwing them like darts at about 383fps!:thumbs_up

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I used 2 blade Rage and never had a single issue when huntig with my vert bow. I bought some 2 blade Rage crossbow heads and hated their new collar so I switched to Reapers. The problem with tests like this is do we know that it wasnt a chinese Rage rip off. I probably shouldn't be so skeptical.

G

·
Most of the videos I've seen were obviously designed to present the strong point (pun not intended) of the broadhead being tested and weren't worth much. But this one did seem to show a weakness inherent to this head even though it was a very small sample size. A valuable informative post I think.

Just for comparison, the following photos are of a Grim Reaper 1.25 inch Fatal Steel (stainless steel) broadhead that was being carried on an arrow weighing 450 grains and impacted a whitetail at 46.7 yards after being shot out of an approximately 400 fps bow. It passed through the entire chest cavity at a somewhat oblique angle and then sheared off the offside femur. In the photo you can see shards of bone indicating it was shattered.

The entry hole of this broadhead is relatively small as compared to some others on the market and the exit holes are only slightly than the 1.25 inch cutting diameter (depicted). But it seems to do the same thing consistently.

It seems to be a tough head. With short stout blades. The blades were still functional after use but the steel ferrule is obviously bent.

I'm not suggesting everyone needs to switch over to a 1.25 inch Grim Reaper. Just presenting what this head did on this particular deer.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts