Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking and its pretty interesting that almost all hunters are of the white race in the US! I only saw a couple people of another race? Why is this? Is it just in the white mans tradition? Is it that white guys enjoy hunting more than people of other races? Whats your opinion??? I'd like to see a variety of hunters, the more the merrier, but its not like that for some reason?:darkbeer: Have fun all.

· Registered
10,641 Posts
Well here in MS that is not the case. I know many black Mississipians who like to hunt, in fact I am heading turkey hunting this week with a co-worker of mine who is black. I do not see many black bowhunters however, but a ton of the black guys love to hunt around were I live.

Also, we have a Choctaw Indian reservation nearby, and they are big hunters as well. Even bowhunters...

· Registered
179 Posts
Well here in MS that is not the case. I know many black Mississipians who like to hunt, in fact I am heading turkey hunting this week with a co-worker of mine who is black. I do not see many black bowhunters however, but a ton of the black guys love to hunt around were I live.

Also, we have a Choctaw Indian reservation nearby, and they are big hunters as well. Even bowhunters...
Native american hunters?????? And bowhunters at that, get out of town, who would've thought!!!!!! Warren Strickland(bowhunter), Bo Jackson(bow and gun hunter), a few well known black hunters. Many in Ohio. Are there black people in Oregan? Never been there.

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang... Its different there I haven't seen any black hunters period.... I have seen one Mexican bowhunter, and a few Russian or Germans.... Must be different over yonder. I figured it to be the same since there are so few on archerytalk.

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the majority of people in the US are white, so there's that.

Also in MN there are plenty of Asian people that hunt, probably a ton more that fish.

Why does it matter?

Why does it matter if you take your golden retriever or labradour retriever hunting? I just am wondering.

· Registered
37 Posts
My uncle (not by blood) is Chinese and he taught me everything I know about hunting. (He's to blame for my addiction) Also the first time I went duck hunting was with two Black friends and their dads in High School. Also the guy who got me into archery and bowhunting is balck and is getting a degree in Wildlife and Fisheries Science and is going to the Texas Game Warden academy next fall. So most of my major hunting influences have been non-white even though im as white as snow.

· Registered
849 Posts
I don't think being a hunter is as tied to race as it is where you grow up. For instance, there are probably as many black hunters as asian hunters as white hunters, etc... living in New York City. I say this because there are a lot more of all mentioned types of people living in this metropolis. Now, per capita, there are many more hunters that reside in a more rural type atmosphere. It just so happens that many of these people end up being white Americans. I'm sure if you had a population of black people or asian people or whatever living in a more rural area then you would probably find a lot more of them hunting. Being from south Texas I knew of a lot of mexicans who hunted.

· Registered
17,859 Posts
Why does it matter if you take your golden retriever or labradour retriever hunting? I just am wondering.
You are asking your question in a hunting dominated site where the numbers here will likely mirror that of the hunting community - you know the majority here are white, why not go where you will find more "not white" people and ask them why they don't hunt. I can't answer for them, which is why I wondered why you asked the question (here) in the first place.

Besides that hunting just isn't for everyone. I have tried to recruit friends - many of them can't sit still for 3+ hours at a time and would find it boring.

You could ask why there more men (than women) hunters - but really who cares? Should the goal be to even the numbers out?

· elecshoc
719 Posts
its probably different if you take the ratios over the total number... It would better serve the purpose of the thread... I'm willing to bet that it would close the gap alot more, down here most of the hunters I've met were hispanic...

· Registered
458 Posts
The funny thing about this line is it is asking about color. Every hunter I've met in the woods have been Americans. Your post should ask if there has been any non-American hunters you have met in the woods.

· Registered
10,406 Posts
35 years of hunting...bow and firearms season,and i've yet to ever see a black man hunting any place i've been.Kinda strange i guess.

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm thinking its different where you guys live because in the Northwest I have not seen a black person hunt ever. I'm Irish I guess.... But in color white LOL I've seen, Germans, Russians, Mexicans, and I think even a Asian but never anyone black... And the reason I said no one on archerytalk is black or next to noone is because if you look at the whole success picture thread, you'll see the majority of hunters are white on here.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.