Archery Talk Forum banner

Interesting Tuning "Dilemma" - Need Your Help!

2344 42
Hey Guys,

So my press finally came in, installed it last night and started putting it to work this morning. I'm shooting an RX7 Ultra at 71lbs, 29.5" draw length. Before I had access to a press I was shooting BH about 6 inches to the left of FP at 30yrds. When I would shoot through paper at around 9-10ft I was getting a high right tail tear. My centershot is 13/16ths, I would like to leave it that way if possible. I raised the arrow rest and I am pretty close to center now when shooting fletched through paper, tail is still a tad high as you can see from the picture. BUT when I shoot a bareshaft I am consistently hitting tail low.

My issue is my bareshafts are hitting tail low when my fletched are hitting tail high. The same thing occurs when I shim the cams. I get a bullet hole when shimmed hard right on both top and bottom BUT with fletched I am tail right...... Do I tune for bareshaft and forget the fletched?

New tuner at a loss on what to do.....

All my shots are consistent like this, I changed the paper so I could give you guys a clear picture instead of 30 holes.
Sky Rectangle Aircraft Atmospheric phenomenon Air travel
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,247 Posts
The inconsistency is like you and your form, grip, how hard you are pulling into the backway, and/or anchor changing a bit. IF you can consistently see bare shaft and fletched tear opposite left and right, that's likely contact. This will affect up and down too. But..... 20-30 yard bare shaft tuning will tell you a lot too; unfortunately, it might be a little harder to diagnose slight contact from bare shaft tuning. If BS hits left of fletched, you would be moving the rest to steer the fletched toward the bare shaft. But... if you have slight contact and your bareshaft is tearing tail left, you will be chasing your... tail :)
I would try and get as close to a bullet hole with bare shaft, then go to 10 or 20 yards and shoot bare shaft vs fletched and see what happens.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts