Archery Talk Forum banner

Interesting Tuning "Dilemma" - Need Your Help!

2344 42
Hey Guys,

So my press finally came in, installed it last night and started putting it to work this morning. I'm shooting an RX7 Ultra at 71lbs, 29.5" draw length. Before I had access to a press I was shooting BH about 6 inches to the left of FP at 30yrds. When I would shoot through paper at around 9-10ft I was getting a high right tail tear. My centershot is 13/16ths, I would like to leave it that way if possible. I raised the arrow rest and I am pretty close to center now when shooting fletched through paper, tail is still a tad high as you can see from the picture. BUT when I shoot a bareshaft I am consistently hitting tail low.

My issue is my bareshafts are hitting tail low when my fletched are hitting tail high. The same thing occurs when I shim the cams. I get a bullet hole when shimmed hard right on both top and bottom BUT with fletched I am tail right...... Do I tune for bareshaft and forget the fletched?

New tuner at a loss on what to do.....

All my shots are consistent like this, I changed the paper so I could give you guys a clear picture instead of 30 holes.
Sky Rectangle Aircraft Atmospheric phenomenon Air travel
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,545 Posts
Hey Guys,

So my press finally came in, installed it last night and started putting it to work this morning. I'm shooting an RX7 Ultra at 71lbs, 29.5" draw length. Before I had access to a press I was shooting BH about 6 inches to the left of FP at 30yrds. When I would shoot through paper at around 9-10ft I was getting a high right tail tear. My centershot is 13/16ths, I would like to leave it that way if possible. I raised the arrow rest and I am pretty close to center now when shooting fletched through paper, tail is still a tad high as you can see from the picture. BUT when I shoot a bareshaft I am consistently hitting tail low.

My issue is my bareshafts are hitting tail low when my fletched are hitting tail high. The same thing occurs when I shim the cams. I get a bullet hole when shimmed hard right on both top and bottom BUT with fletched I am tail right...... Do I tune for bareshaft and forget the fletched?

New tuner at a loss on what to do.....

All my shots are consistent like this, I changed the paper so I could give you guys a clear picture instead of 30 holes.
View attachment 7709421
I'd figure out why this is happening. What is the most common cause is that your vanes are hitting something and kicking the arrow high. Ironically, lowering your rest can help this as it gives you more clearance.

Here's what I would do: spray your vanes/back of arrow with the coating foot powder or coat with ground chalk or lipstick. Shoot and look at the bow and vanes to see if there is contact. Whether there is or not, lower the rest to get the bareshaft shooting nock level up/down. Check for vane contact again.

You haven't mentioned your rest. Vane contact with a dropaway rest is often due to rest timing or another issue. What type of rest do you have?

If you get your bareshafts shooting good through paper, then you can determine why your fletched arrows aren't doing the same. I think that order of operation is easiest as far as figuring things out.

· Registered
4,545 Posts
I'm using a QAD drop away rest.

I will go test now, thanks.
The way that QAD says to time the rest is suboptimal according to me and a few others.

This is what I do. Loosen QAD cord clamp thing. Draw the bow to full draw on board. Put a ruler on it and lower the string so that the board is holding about 1.5 to 1.0 inches from full draw. While there, very carefully, slide the clamp down until the rest is not just where the 2 indicator lines on the rest are level but actually past each other (the rest is pulled up/back as far as possible).

The instructions they give you will have the rest coming up early and a lot of tension on your cord.

· Registered
4,545 Posts
if you're not shooting bareshaft bullet holes through paper, then I don't see any reason to move back to 20 or 30 yards and shoot bareshafts because they are going to plane like mad

shooting bareshafts at 20 or 30 yards is hypersensitive to tune and form....i'd get your paper tune done first

edit: It isn't uncommon to have perfect bullet holes at 15 to 5 feet (like you couldn't make them look better if you pushed the arrow through by hand carefully)....and they'll still plane 6 inches or a foot to one side at 25 yards....also, I wouldn't shoot bareshafts past 25 yards unless you are a machine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts