Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I may soon come into possession of a lancaster gift card and am thinking it will be directed towards some new limbs. I was wondering if there were opinions on the mid range of whats available.

Goal:
I want something with a smoother end of draw curve (in the trend of high end Uukha or border limbs, but I realize this is impossible, so what I mean is smoother at the end in comparison to other limbs at the intermediate price point)

I am currently shooting an olympic style with long axioms on a hoyt horizon, with a 29.5” draw and 41#s @ fingers.

Ideally $450 or less from Lancaster:
- Foam core / non-wood preferred (south Texas heat and humidity)
- I have plenty of speed, so care more about smoothness and stability.

I realize that this budget really limits the options, but was wondering how things like these stack up;

Specifically these newerish released limbs in the sub-$400:
1. Uukha Ex1 Evo2
2. W&W Rapido
3. SF Elite Carbon High foam

And maybe (outer limit of $) these other (older?) on the upper budget side.
4. Hoyt Carbon Ace
5. W&W RCX-100
6. W&W WINEX
(No idea the difference between 5 and 6 are)

Once again, this is restricted to new limbs from lancaster (because of lancaster $$), not used higher end limbs in the same price range.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The SFs you mentioned are a great choice. Don't know if they're a better choice than the Kaya K3s Alternative has on sale and will tyd to you for $193, but your card is for Lancaster only. I shot a few arrows with the K3s on an SF forged+ today, they are very smooth.

I shoot with a pair of winex right now, I'd tell how good they are, but a quick search shows plenty of people praised them over the year. Other than that, hopefully around the Holidays the Inno line goes the way of the APECS line and the pricw gets reduced to single out the wiawis :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I just put some Ex1 Evo2 Uukhas on my rig. While I have not shot many high ends limbs, I've shot quite a few others, and have never shot anything as smooth. Admittedly, my last two sets were older Hoyts, i.e. M1 and Epic, but there was no comparison. The Uukhas have zero stack at my draw (30 lbs short limbs / 66" total / 27" DL), and feel a few lbs lighter than they actually are. Probably the best money I have ever spent on gear.

Not to mention their killer looks. :cool:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would suggest the MK Archery Inpers $389 at Lancaster.

I have these limbs and they are very smooth, fast, quiet, and absolutely zero stacking and I shoot a 31 inch draw.

For your weight and draw length I would suggest the mediums at 38 lbs.

Option 2

The Sammick Universal Carbons are very very good as well, and designed by the same engineer who started MK Archery.
For $189 that is a great price and will far out shoot most people including me :)
They have very high recommendations as well.
Then get a high quality new string like Angel Or BCY winners choice etc, that does make a nice difference in the feel of the shot and maybe a slight difference in speed.
Save the money on the limbs get a new Double click Shibuya sight standard is all you will need.
So new limbs new sight under $400,

Hope that helps
Good luck

On another note if you don't like them you can resell here and they would sell quickly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a pair of MK Archery Inpers. They're actually only $329.99 on LAS. I've been shooting them for a few weeks now and they feel really smooth. They're great limbs at that price. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Jason
63 Posts
Shot SF Elite Carbon High foam limbs for a little while. For mid tier limbs, they sure do feel smooth.

I also have a friend who recently purchased some W&W Rapidos. I'll be shooting with him this weekend and can ask for his opinion / test them out and post back.

·
Jason
63 Posts
And if it wasn't for your heat and humidity, I would whole heatedly recommend the MK Inpers both Jim and ytran mentioned :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mokrogar, thanks for the info! Will look forward to hearing about the rapidos, if you don't mind me asking what did you move to from the Elite Carbon High foams?

ytran16 and Jim I do agree the Inpers would be a great wood limb! I have heard nothing but praise for MK products, and if their Mach 3 foam limb were in my price range I would definitely be sorely tempted (would have to fight my desire for some hex6.5-H or Vx-1000 limbs!) Just for the time being though looking for something that can handle a humid summer in Corpus Christi.

And thank you Ms.Speedmaster, I have probably been the most tempted by the Uukha limb guarantee of no twist and weather condition immunity. I know a couple people that have tried either the Ux-100 or the Vx-1000 and great things to say, but no one yet with the Ex1 Evo2.
I actually have a really specific question for you if you can; for the 30b Uukhas you have, were they marked true at bolts out or bolts half? And did yours possibly run heavy/light?
Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TheElBow, I could understand that especially at the price difference.

If you happen to know, what is the difference between the Winex and RCX-100 limbs?

·
Registered
637 Posts
From your choices, I would go with the Winex. With those limbs, I'd be surprised if you ever felt the need to change them in the future.

·
Registered
263 Posts
For me, the Winex or the Rapido sounds like the best choice. The Winex have been around forever and are proven over and over again when it comes to produce points. It is no calm shooter, but more a classic synthetic limb with plenty of speed and also shot feedback. They work best in risers that dampens the shot some instead of stiff and crisp risers imo.

SF Carbon H Foam are limbs with a compact and dense foam core with low amounts of carbon. So the heavy weight is mostly in the core, making them rather slow without being better in stability than other medium level limbs. I find them to be decent performers, but they are also rather boring to shoot.

MK Inpers are sweet but a bit special in feel. They noticably heavier than most wood core limbs, making them feel somewhat like a cheap fiber glass limb atleast in comparison to the latest generation high end carbon limbs from W&W, Hoyt and MK (that can be both good and bad depending if you like quiet limbs with slightly higher levels of low frequenzy feedback or not, but the trend goes towards lighter laminates in general).

The Uukhas in that price range are extremely heavy since they are core-less with their solid fiber construction. This means that they are slower than most, but on the other hand they are also more stable than most. So instead of the "heavy without any other advantage" character of the SF Elite Carbon Foam, they actually offer a high level of stability at the cost of speed. Uukha is still the odd choice, but be aware of that the weight of the limbs will give you a very different feel. Smoothness-wise the Uukhas are in a different level than the others you mention. Even the cheap Uukhas are super smooth in the end of the draw cycle.

The RCX100 is the one in the mentioned bunch that gives the most shot feedback. They are sharp, crisp and direct, and in some risers they tend to go over to the almost aggressive side in terms of shot feel. The construction is fast and light compared to SF Carbon Foam, MK Inpers and Uukha EX1. Smoothness is average, I would say.

Hoyt Carbon Ace:s are nice for the medium level and are neutral in pretty much all aspects IF you get a good pair, but Hoyt is a gamble if you are picky with straightness and tiller balance. If I can´t go to the shop and choose between atleast 3-4 pairs, I wouldn´t trust my luck in a mail order. But if you get a good pair I find it to be a limb that will suit many. They stack a bit in the end of the draw, but for me it´s a stack that is just perfect for feeling where you are in the shot. Good limbs.

·
Jason
63 Posts
From the SF Elites, I moved to W&W Apecs Primes (higher poundage to shoot outdoor distances), and am currently shooting Fivics Titan Pure Recurve Limbs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info MartinOttosson, you said the Winex and Rapido sound best, I was wondering if you could provide a bit more info about the Rapido?

Also, which Uukhas have you had the opportunity to test? I have now heard from people trying the Ex1 Evo2, the Ux-100, and the Vx-100, nobody yet with the HX10 or X0.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unfortunately LAS doesn't carry them, but I just started shooting Kaya K-Storms and Wow!!! Really smooth, quiet and absolute rocket launchers.....tightened my groups as well

·
Registered
752 Posts
And thank you Ms.Speedmaster, I have probably been the most tempted by the Uukha limb guarantee of no twist and weather condition immunity. I know a couple people that have tried either the Ux-100 or the Vx-1000 and great things to say, but no one yet with the Ex1 Evo2.
I actually have a really specific question for you if you can; for the 30b Uukhas you have, were they marked true at bolts out or bolts half? And did yours possibly run heavy/light?
Thanks!
I just scaled it and it was dead on 30lb @28, with one thread left on the bolt. I don't think you'll get any more lbs out of them. However, it chrono'd at 177 fps at my 27" draw. Not too shabby for a 290 gr CX Medallion Pro 900. Archer's Advantage tells me it should be at 150 fps. Nice!

·
Registered
65 Posts
with one thread left on the bolt?????
If you are talking turned out.....as an engineer, I would advise a minimum of 3 engaged threads. Especially in an Alum. Riser......for safety sake

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just scaled it and it was dead on 30lb @28, with one thread left on the bolt. I don't think you'll get any more lbs out of them. However, it chrono'd at 177 fps at my 27" draw. Not too shabby for a 290 gr CX Medallion Pro 900. Archer's Advantage tells me it should be at 150 fps. Nice!
Excellent! That is super useful information, it is always hard to tell what you are going to get when you try a new brand of limbs. I always worry that I will end up in another Samick +2lb situation without knowing it until too late.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts