Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a recurve next spring..maybe a hoyt gamemaster? what would you guys/gals recommend?

also what sort of poundage? I shoot my compound at a 27 inch draw at 55 pounds.

what sort of arrows and fletching to use? broadheads? or anything else i would need to know before getting into it! thanks!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Gamemasters are nice but they are pricey for a first bow. You are more than likely going to find a Gamemaster in a hunting weight than you are a good learning weight. But.....I don't know you and you might be strong as an Ox for all I know. I think a lightweight bow is best for learing how to shoot. Only you know what lightweight means to you. Lightweight for me is 35# and under. With your short draw, I would look for a bow in the 60 to 62" range. Ebay had lots of bows that fit that description (if you are right handed). Find a decent bow and then we can talk about arrows.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I shoot my compound at a 27 inch draw at 55 pounds.
Is that the true holding weight (after the bow let off is taken into account)?

55 lbs with 80% let off = 11 lbs actual holding.
Remember a recurve doesn't have any let off !!!

·
hunt or be hunted
3,953 Posts
I just got into it myself a few weeks ago. some things you want to consider are: get a low poundage bow like under 40lbs, dont overbow yourself!
and use alluminum correct spine arrows fletched with feathers and shoot off a rest!
good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts