Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum but not to bowhunting. I've been bowhunting for almost 30 years now, mostly with a compound but have taken deer and other critters with a recurve (years ago). I am fortunate to live in the big-buck mecca of central illinois. I remember well the days of having 3 pins on my compound for 10, 20 & 30 yards and still having to get the yardage right! My current compound with a single pin set at 25 yards works out to 35, the new compounds perform so well as to almost seem unfair, a 35 yard shot is nothing.

All this to say that I find myself wanting to convert back to the challenge of traditional archery. So, I picked up a used Bear Grizzly 50# bow on Ebay for less than $100. I've been reading all I can find here and other places as well as "picking the brain" of a long bow shooting buddy. I've started shooting the recurve, working on form, bow tuning etc. and must say I'm in love. Shooting, just for the sake of shooting, is fun again. My accuracy at 15 yards is acceptable but I still plan to hunt with my compound this season and convert fully by next year.

I bought some 2219's based on the easton chart but think they may be over-spined a tad, they shoot ok but not pure. My buddy says I need 2216's, from what I've read here I think maybe 2016's or 2018's. I'm shooting 53#s at my draw length, a 30.5" arrow with 125 g heads, 3 fingers under and off the shelf. I don't want to keep buying arrows to find the right one so I'd appreciate a recomendation.

I hesitated to ask this because I see it gets asked A LOT! I also see that you guys are always willing to help. Sorry for being so long winded, I'm looking forward to learning and participating in this forum, but especially to bowhunting with traditional equipment.

·
Registered
160 Posts
With your draw length, you may want to try 2018. Assuming you want around 125gr up front and the extra long arrows, that should do the trick.

Try that as a starting point, it will tune to your bow.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Pick up one of each. Some of the older Bears need a little softer spine in my experience. Try some bare shafting then go from there.

·
Registered
Black Hawk Yellow Jacket.
186 Posts
There's a multitude of variables in each individuals set-up. That's why it makes it so hard for us to just tell you "this and that" will work.

How far to center, your bow is cut, how you grip the bow, and if you're applying torque to the bow, but most of all if you get a good release.

For instance: My son shoots a 53# Chek-Mate Longhorn flatbow, and draw 30.5 inches. He's getting excellent flight with 32inch 2018 arrows with 250 grain heads!

I tried shooting them in my 51# recurve drawing them to 28.5 inches and they go crazy!

I feel a 2018 would be a good starting point for you. But sometimes the 3 under style will allow you to go to a weaker spine, so you may even be able to go to 2016's.

But, as vermonster said: pick up some different sized shafts. Nothing beats having a few individually sized shafts around to experiment with. Check with your friends, I'd bet you can round up several different sized arrows from them to try.

Besides, you'll need them for when you buy your next trad-bow!

hnh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts