Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the time is approaching us once again, and the time has come for (what seems like 60% of our hunting population) to start running to the store buying up EVERYTHING, and start shooting.

I just don't understand this, but I guess 3 years ago I was a part (well somewhat) of this crowd as I had not yet found my true passion for shooting/ranging. I must admit I have to laugh sometimes when I'm walking in the pro-shops and there is 30 deep all needing strings/cables/broadheads, oh and did I mention its 3 day till the opener...lol. They do it every year, and then they always end up PO'ed because they can't service them right then and there.

I'm not saying everyone should have everything done, I understand not all have the time and money. It would sure help though if after spring Turkey season if you needed a string/cable or tuning you may want to stop in a Pro-shop, scheels, sportsman's or whatever is close to you and have it looked at. It would sure make your fall hunting experience a lot better. I hate to go in a place (pro-shops or whatever) and listen to people have a bad time or not being able to get a string or other hunting equipment, because I know this is going to have a bad effect on there hunting season. I know how I am, I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve waiting for September 30 to come and go.

In closing I would just like to say, there is time for all of you maybe not you the person reading this, but one of your buddies and we all have them. The one that waits till the last second for everything, the ones that say "I don't need to practice I hit everything I aim at." Make it a point to Make him check his gear. Invite yourself to come over and shoot, in fact just show up with your bow and say "lets go get some range time in." This way you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, you get him to knock the rust off those shooting skills, and you can look over his/hers (almost forgot the hers, my wife was reading this and started hating on me) anyways you can see if the equipment need replaced/tuned.

Anyways, sorry for the soapbox everyone stay safe, God-bless all of you and all your families as we put them through lots of lonely days and nights. Remember kiss your kids as they are only young once, and if all possible take them with you, those are memories you and them will never forget.

-Dan Wright

·
Registered
717 Posts
whats up

I am from Iowa near sioux city and I totally agree with you that's why I shoot all year around and keep my equipment up to snuff.

where in iowa are you from?

where do you hunt?

·
Registered
115 Posts
From Iowa too. Ames Area. Go Cyclones! I try to shoot most of the summer. That way there are no suprises come fall.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
I can hardly wait, but hold on I need strings/cables/broadheads. Oh well plenty of time.:wink:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Connor Riley said:
I am from Iowa near sioux city and I totally agree with you that's why I shoot all year around and keep my equipment up to snuff.

where in iowa are you from?

where do you hunt?
I live in Des Moines, But I hunt Zone 5 and 6. Mostly South my friends and family have farms down in the Clark county area and also Madison county (Yes the famous Bridge county) anyways Good Luck!

·
Registered
15,276 Posts
I'm from Iowa

I'm new here but from Waterloo Ia
I hunt Winneshiek County most

I can't wait for Oct 1st
And this year it falls on a Sunday, my only day to hunt.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I wasd born and raised in southwest IA. Sidney to be exact. Now I'm in Alaska (thanks uncle Sam). I'm on my 20 year free hunting trip. I'll be back home on Nov. 22 trying to take a few monsters.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Tony checking in from Winterset.. i have been shooting for about 6 years non stop.:wink:
i shoot Indoor target, 3D, bow season and then start all over again. i person can shoot year round and shoot differant things to gain that edge we need during bow season.

getting your buddies to shake off the rust is tough, when they have lots of honey doos to do..

Shoot Strong
Tony

·
Registered
218 Posts
Iowa

I'm from Iowa City. My buddies and I shoot all year round. We all shoot Trad bows and our bows are always tuned and ready to shoot and hunt with.

·
Registered
799 Posts
ankeny iowa

from ankeny iowa got stands hung and have been shooting all year around. good luck everyone see you at the whitetail classic this spring!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bowtechben said:
good luck everyone see you at the whitetail classic this spring!

Isn't the Deer Classic the coolest thing on earth here! I haven't made it down there since it has moved to Hy Vee hall but I heard it was Awesome. Have any of you guys been down to the Classic at the New Wells Fargo Arena?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts