Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background on the area. Suburban deer that are on the edge of town. Farmers are planting beans on the property this year in most of the fields that are financially productive. Some of the edges and some of the areas that they were told to not plant are open for a fall food plot. The deer are currently walking past the clover plots and heading straight for the bean fields. My question is then, what would you plant on these bean "edges" to compete with the beans for a fall hunting plot? Thanks ahead.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
A little background on the area. Suburban deer that are on the edge of town. Farmers are planting beans on the property this year in most of the fields that are financially productive. Some of the edges and some of the areas that they were told to not plant are open for a fall food plot. The deer are currently walking past the clover plots and heading straight for the bean fields. My question is then, what would you plant on these bean "edges" to compete with the beans for a fall hunting plot? Thanks ahead.
While they're walking past the clover now, they won't be when those beans dry up. Take a serious look at alfalfa/clover. We're going to try some brassicas in some select spots this year, hear good things about them after the frost.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

We have been looking at alfalfa blends, any recommendations?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would go with clover because it is much easier to plant/maintain than alfalfa.. Depending on what time of the year you want this plot to be productive is a big part as well. (Mainly early season hunting or later in the year)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
timing

sorry left out the timing....Mid October to Mid November.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Corn, cause there's no corn in Iowa ...

·
Registered
755 Posts
The only thing that would worry me about hunting clover and alfalfa that late is that Ive heard that the deer dont like it a whole lot after the first few freezes. (Others have said that deer in their area dont mind it) but another option could be winter rye, brassicas, or something along those lines....

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
We have been looking at alfalfa blends, any recommendations?
After a hard frost. the alfalfa dies off quickly. WIth all the beans in your area, the deer will hit those until the leave begin to turn yellow. You want something that will do well after the early frost. I would recommend for a "Hunting Plot" Oats and Brassicas. Oats do well until it gets real cold and then the brassica/turnips will kick in.

Plant strips of each in your field and you can watch the deer. They will tell you what they like and when. The first year experiment and then you will know. For me the Buck forage oats for Sept-Nov and brassicas for Nov- Jan.
Corn is also a great food plot once the weather gets cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts