Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a square section of 480 acres. All ready has corn/soybeans planted on it yearly. Probably almost 300 acres of crop. I have a section, say 3 or 4 acres, that is surrounded on 3 sides by timber and a creek. My question is what would be the best plant or brand of food plot mix to grow for maximum rack growth. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hey benji21 I use red meduim clover and oats from the coop. Deer seem to like it. I also crush up the $6 trace mineral blocks from the coop and desolve in water. I use 2 blocks per site, I have seen good results using this. I used the high dollar mineral and seeds and wasted my money. The deer left it on the table, it took 3 years before the deer started eating my bassica's and turnips. however, now they know it taste good after several freeze periods I can't keep them out of it. Great late muzzle loader plots. You can put to seed the turnips and bassica so you dont have to buy seed it not very hard ask your extention office if needed.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Hey benji21 I use red meduim clover and oats from the coop. Deer seem to like it. I also crush up the $6 trace mineral blocks from the coop and desolve in water. I use 2 blocks per site, I have seen good results using this. I used the high dollar mineral and seeds and wasted my money. The deer left it on the table, it took 3 years before the deer started eating my bassica's and turnips. however, now they know it taste good after several freeze periods I can't keep them out of it. Great late muzzle loader plots. You can put to seed the turnips and bassica so you dont have to buy seed it not very hard ask your extention office if needed.
Those are all good, except they are fall season plantings. Only clover is there during the antler growth period. That being said, I agree that those would be better choices.
Soybeans are probably as good as anything as far as providing protien when it's needed. Benji21, if you have that many crops around, don't waste your time and money planting a summer crop for antler growth, they're already getting plenty it sounds like. I like late season hunting, so I personally would do everything you have in brassicas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts