Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 4 preference points & looking to head out in 2019 (no later than 2020). Any suggestions on a good Outfitter? Still trying to decide whether to go with the bow or muzzleloader. Would really like carrying both. Was able to do that a few yrs ago in Illinois & it was a nice trip.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Curious how you were able to carry a bow and muzzleloader in Illinois? Did you have bow tags and muzzleloader tags and just carry one weapon each time out? Just curious how you were able to do it for next season when I’m out.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Curious how you were able to carry a bow and muzzleloader in Illinois? Did you have bow tags and muzzleloader tags and just carry one weapon each time out? Just curious how you were able to do it for next season when I’m out.
I'm curious about that as well.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess I wasn't clear about that. Hunted from Sat to Thurs with the bow only. Then Fri & Sat with the muzzleloader only during gun season. We had all the correct licenses & tags.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Guess I wasn't clear about that. Hunted from Sat to Thurs with the bow only. Then Fri & Sat with the muzzleloader only during gun season. We had all the correct licenses & tags.
Awesome. Thanks for clarifying. It's incredibly common to run into people here who are using the incorrect weapon, have a bad tag or are in the wrong area. Illinois has some convoluted laws.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome. Thanks for clarifying. It's incredibly common to run into people here who are using the incorrect weapon, have a bad tag or are in the wrong area. Illinois has some convoluted laws.
No doubt Some states make it a lot harder to understand than it needs to be

·
Registered
891 Posts
Iowa , the bow season and muzzleloader overlaps, I can buy bow tag and Muzzleloader tag. If I couldn’t fill my bow tag early season I can carry my bow and Muzzleloader the same time during late muzzleloader ( also bow season) I love to fill my Muzzleloader tag with my Bow. I don’t know any outfitters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Well I guess I will have to use Google to find one...lol

There just aren't a lot.

I pheasant hunted at a place. Hertitage 1865. The guy does more corporate pheasant hunts than deer hunts but he does a handful of late muzzy hunts. He is in a great area and he has really good ground. I am not sure how he managed this year but in 2016 he killed a 170 and a 160 on his properties. Give him a holler.

http://www.heritage1865.com/

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
you can use a "lesser weapon" in Iowa.
Actually you better go to the chart in the regulations that list the exact weapons you can use based on the specific tag you hold. This is mostly true but not always.

Example you cannot use a bow during early muzzy season. (I kind of get this one. I would use a bow 100% of the time with this tag if they let me)

Also youths cannot use a crossbow during the youth season even though you can use what ever other weapon you want.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
We are going to try Timber Ghost (free range) in 2019 this time around. Know a couple guys that went there and they did real well

·
Registered
440 Posts
Here is the chart that shows allowable weapons by season in Iowa.

weapon.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts