Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well IP (International Paper) got us again. Our hunt club lost 5,000 acres this year to a leach pond project that IP managed to get approved by the EPA for their waste-water. Lost the entire area where the big bucks were taken last year, but that should have pushed them onto the other tract of our lease, so that wasn't too big a problem. But my father and I had our private stand set up in a nice pine stand that funneled from a large power line cut into a feeding area. We had seen lots of good sign and were going through about 150 lbs. of corn a week in our little spot. But Friday, we found out that IP is coming in and taking out both stands of pines up on our hill. So yesterday we went in to pull our feeders and as we were coming to a stop, a nice 8-pointer still in velvet ran across the road from our spot into the adjacent scrub field. We followed his tracks back in to the pine stand, and sure enough he was feeding at the feeder where my bow stand was at. So where as before we thought we had a good spot, now we know it was a good spot. This sucks. So now, a month before opening day, we have to find another place to set up and hope that it is half as good as the other one was. The most frustrating thing is the fact that IP had said they were done cutting three times, and each time they have come back and cut more now. Oh well, little bit of hard scouting and footwork, and we should be back in business. Has anyone else had to deal with a lease like this, where they just come in with no warning and clear cut everything??

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dude, that sucks. I also have a lease that this happened too. give it a couple of years and those clear cuts will be grown up and thick. Then you will be back in buisness. I like hunting 3 years old cutovers.

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
Nothing is as it was years ago. Money now rules the woods and their use. I've had and lost so many places for so many reasons you just get tired of looking and fighting to keep a good place.
Around here we fight the big dog hunting clubs. Some clubs have thousands and thousands of acres of land. Virtually all land is taken by the clubs in a lot of the state here. And a lot do not allow archery at all on club lands. 4 out of 5 don't allow archery. And if you get a nice one during bow use the remainder of that year to find another place because come next year you'll need it. I've found a couple of small places and some out of the way public lands and that's about all I do anymore. It just isn't worth the hassle to deal with the club mentality.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Something similar happened to a lease that Kildog and Olddog48. The first year of their lease, the timber company came in and clear cut about450 acres. You talk about land rape. However, those clear cut areas are about four years old now. Prime Time, Prime Time hunting. I got lucky and joined the lease this year and can't wait to hunt them cut overs.

Watch the area closely and you will probably notice a lot more deer activity from bedding to feeding. Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. Like I said, the biggest dissappointment was seeing that buck and knowing that we had an awesome stand site. We did find another area that shows some promise. It is up a wash about 150 yds and then turns into a trail that skirts a 3-4 year old clear-cut. Just a matter of trying to get it worked before the season opener on Oct. 18th. But after my luck last year, I can't complain too much. I was a guest last year hunting with my dad, and I took the biggest buck out of the property:cool: Good luck this season. Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts