Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is 10 feet hight enough for whitetails? I bought an ameristep 15 foot ladder stand today rated for 300lbs and went to put it up. Well after a few attempts went to get my wife to help this is definetly a 2 man job. Well before we got it completed it it got dark. The top ratchet would not get tight,, seemed to get so far and stopped ratcheting. When I went up to try it, the stand seemed un sturdy. I am not sure if this was because the top strap is not tight or just not rock solid.

I have a goliath and love it, will go 15-20 feet but its rock solid.

If when I get the top tight it is still unsteady would it be a waste of time to only use 2 extensions and hunt on a sturdy stand?

I feel like 10 feet is better than on the ground, but you may think otherwise, Your opinions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Denny

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
You can hunt from 10 ft but you better have some good cover to break you up. Everyone that I have ever been in weren't very steady. I told you they were a pain.

If you have a Goliath why are you worried about the ladder stand?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Try this

The rachet might be full,try loosening the rachet up so you can pull the strap tight,by hand,pull it as tight as you can get it then start racheting it ,that should tighten it up rock solid. sounds like the rachet is full of strap now.Hope that works for ya

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ratchet is full

Your right, I am sure it is full, Saturday will try to fix it.

The reason I want a ladder stand is some mornings I only have an hour of hunting before work and a ladder stand is easy to hunt when you dont have much time. (if I get a deer mornings I have to work they would understand me taking care of my deer) Just cant come in an hour late every day just hunting. The climber takes more time to set up and take down. I know its not much but with the ladder I feel I can hunt to the last min and head to work if nothing happens.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Plenty high enough,but i prefer to go at least 20Ft.The main thing is cover,as Brown Hornet alluded to.With Good background cover, and remaining motionless,and controling scent,you should be able to fill your tag,unless you have some skittish deer,in your area.Also try facing the oppisite direction,that you expect the deer to come from,and use your ear's instead of sight.The Tree itself,will also offer cover,and when they pass your location,you'll have a quartering away shot.No matter the angle,aim for the oppisite leg,and he wont go far.Good Luck!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I always hunt 20 feet, unless impossible due to tree limbs etc.
Too easy to get busted at 10 feet even if you have a "perfect" setup. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANKS GUYS

Hopefully I wont need ladder stand muth and I will be 18ft up in my goliath.

I will try tightening up the ratchet and securing better to the tree, if that doesnt work I will find an area with good cover and set it at 10' and use it only when necesary. I do like the idea of setting up on the oposite side of the tree, last year had deer close when they came in on oposite side of the tree. I did learn a lesson, mole skin is nice to have where arrow may contact bow riser. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
i perfer the limb of a live oak over any stand. We have several that make awsome stands. Some climbing sticks and a safety harness and you are set.

·
Registered
92 Posts
YES!

took 150 7/8 with a mature nanny beside him at 23 yards from 10 feet up in open hardwoods...No leaves in background and open cornfield to my back.....

Be still, and watch the wind!

Steve

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I think the key to using a stand at 10 ft is to put it between 3 trees. It breaks up the view to the deer. I have had good luck with 10 ft ladder stands. They are that much more easy to put up...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I HAVE SHOT NUMEROUS DEER FROM LESS THAN 10 FT... SETTING ON THE PLATFORM OF THE LADDER STAND BEFORE. JUST CREATE A BREAK UP BACK GROUND.....

·
Registered
834 Posts
dang.. you guys must have dumb deer ;) LOL.. around where i hunt in wisconsin, the deer look UP now I missed a 170+ in 12 point this weekend, I made a little bit of noise when getting up, and he looked striaght up bout mid way into the tree i was in.. luckly i was 28 ft in the air, then i missed him cause of a little twig, talk about pissed.. on of the biggest deer i've ever seen, looked like a quarter horse when he ran away... no matter.. i've got him on the game tracker, i know where he lives ;)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Next time he will look 28 feet for you :D . I dont like getting that high in archery seems to make the shot angle pretty steep for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts