Archery Talk Forum banner

Is 296fps at 28" doable from cougar 3?

872 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  60X
Here's my dilema. I've never had a bow scale and don't really have a club or shop that I can use so I just set my bows up where they feel right. Well I finally bought a scale and my bow was only 49lb instead of the 54lb I thought it was. I now turned my bow up to 55lb to get 5grs/lb and My cougar 3 shoots 296 while my older model cougar gets 284. I'm concerned that my scale may not be correct. I'm going to try and get some weights to check it out. My speed just seems a bit high to me. The bow is a courgar 3 elite fury x, 55lb, 276.3 grain arrow, 8125 string w/loop,peep, speed balls. Any input? Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8,225 Posts
Hmmm. I'm 27" on the draw and I get 262 out of my Fury X Cougar III, with elite limbs at 5 grains per pound. Big difference there. The chronograph reads about the same as what The Archery Program does, so I'm confident that it's correct. What cams are you shooting on the CIII?

· Registered
1,497 Posts
I was getting 285fps out of a SIII at 52# and 285 gr arrow at 29 inches... so I would think its possible.. especially as last fall when the cougar had just been cut some factory reps were reporting it (CIII) was about 10 fps faster with the same geometry as the C2000.

I managed to get more speed from the SIII by making strings to get me into the power curve sooner. By making each cable 1/2 inch longer (shortens draw 1 inch) then making the string 1/2 inch longer (lengthens draw by 1/2 inch netting 1/2 inch shorter draw but keeping the same ATA and Brace) I ended up with a higher holding weight (22# w/ 58% l/o) and one smooth shootin SIII.

So in answer to your question.... yes I think its possible.....

· World & National Champion
34,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shooter mike: I am using the fury x cams. What kind of string material are you using? Any speed balls? What kind of nock set, loop etc? 262 sounds real low.

· Registered
151 Posts
If I back down the poundage on my Cougar III to exactly 5 grains/pound, I get 275. That's a 26"draw with elite limbs and a fury-x cam. It sounds to me like mid 290's would be very reasonable. Just keep the string weight to a minimum.

Shooter Mike, It seems like you are a little slow unless there is some string weight (ie nock sets and such) that we don't know about.

· World & National Champion
34,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've always had a grain scale and chronograph. I've just bought an arrow saw and bow scale in the past week. I guess I can say I'm self suffuciant now. I verified that my scale is correct. I weighed some known weight objects and it's right on the money. Who says you can buy good stuff off ebay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.