Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi girls! I wanted to hear some of your thoughts and opinions on poundage. I unfortunately only know men archers/hunters and wonder if their opinions are squed a bit, not that they don't know a lot but they can pull 70# with no problem.
I am trying to find out what is the minimum to make a clean archery kill for an elk. The min. is 40# in the regulations but all the guys tell me that is way to low. I can't seem to find any real evidence. What do the rest of you shoot? what are your feelings on the issue?

thanks in advance for you thoughts

·
Registered
488 Posts
you need to find out what you are getting for kinetic energy...it really depends on a lot of factors.i would be hesitant to try to shoot an elk with that,but thats my opinion...i shoot 57#,have a 24" draw..i feel comfortable taking shots at whitetails,but anything larger i would be a bit apprehensive.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I will check into it more. I just don't understand why they would make it legal to shoot elk at 40# if it really isn't right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
40 lbs

Yes Iam a guy ran across your thread in the new posts area hope you dont mind.. think of ot this way for years traditional archers take elk all the time. They may be using wood arrows and shooting a 50-70lb long bow or recurve but the kinetic energy should be the same for you at 40 lbs. maybe you could shorten your draw by a half inch and crank the bow down an extra 5-10 lbs. just practice it for a while and condition your arms and back. Also with a good cut on impact blade like a 100gr bear razor or sat. titan 100gr you should have no problem, especialy with good shot placement. A friend of mine shots with 35-40 and gets pass thru's on most of her whitetails. Yes elk are bigger but all you need is to cut the heart or the lungs good shooting and hope this helps. let us know how you do
Chad

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Sorry, another guy answering :D

Last year my wife and I went to Idaho on an elk hunt, she shoots 45 lbs at 26 inches. We set her up with 2013 alum with 100 gr Magnus Stingers, she came in at right on 400 gr for the arrow to make the min weight needed.

The outfitter had NO PROBLEM with her taking shots, she was going to stay at 25 or less, preferably closer, he was comfortable and we were comfortable with this based on lots of asking questions on our part of elk hunters.

Unfortunately she never took a shot to prove anything, so we don't know for sure, but its all about shot placement, compounds at that weight will generate enough speed/energy to compare favorably to many recurves that are used at higher weights.

Go for it, just get close and hit what you aim at.

--Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for your posts, I never mind input from the guys. I just don't know anyone who shoots at the lower pounds so I never hear how succesful they are.
This season I had a solo cam set just over 40# and a 26 draw length.
I had the opportunity at a nice 5x5 (as I was told, I just saw is side and kept my eyes on that sweet spot right in the vitals) well there was a small tree right in the way when he stopped. He was 15 yards from me with my husband and our hunting partner right by my side. It was close to dark and by the time he moved it was just too dark to go after him. I never got another chance but man was that great. I think the best part was that all three of us where standing there together. It would have been great to take that elk but it just wasn't worth the risk for me. I will have such great memories from this year, it being my first year hunting.
I plan on getting my poundage up as much as I can before next year but I just wanted to hear what others were shooting at my level.

thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wish I could hunt Idaho again.
We have a cabin up in pritchard Idaho, and there is good ELK to hunt in the national forest.
My wife killed a 4x4 in 1988 with a martin cougar speed flite set at @ 40 lbs with 400 grn arrow and it was a pass thru shot at 20 yards.
Shot placement is an absolute and the pounding of your heart once you have one come into view.
Stay with it and good luck.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'm a male, hunt with recurve & cedar arrows. I shoot 525 gr. arrows at 55# using a 2-blade broadhead.
Have never shot an elk, but would agree with Ragefusion....

Kinetic energy is the key. Heavy arrows do damage.

Another thought to consider... with a lower poundage setup, using a 2-blade with cut-on-contact tip,
rather than a chisel-type tip, will aid dramatically with penetration.

Ever seen video where an arrow is placed vertically on the nock end,
then stretch a deer hide and push down on the tip of the broadhead?
Needless to say, the chisel-type needs WAY more force to punch thru the hide than the cut-on-contact.

Good luck on your quest of making the right combination work for you...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks again guys for all the input. I read a great article in the Aug 03 issue of Bowhunter magizine. It was on getting a boost. It was just what I was looking for. they talked about how speed is very imprortant in the lower pound bows. They gave a lot of great tips to try. I engourage anyone to get a hold of that article if they are interested...

Angie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there chickelkhunter, hope you don't mind another guy replying. I'd second the thoughts on cut-on-contact broadheads, rather than chisel points. I've taken 2 broadside shots at elk at 20 yards or less, with 3-blade muzzys, and have not gotten pass thrus. Both stopped under the hide at the far side. Both bulls went down fairly quickly, but not with a real great blood trail. Was shooting a Jag at 70 lbs.

So, where in Idaho are you? I'm up in the panhandle, by Priest River, a bit west of Sandpoint.

Bri

1 - 10 of 10 Posts