Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting new arrows for target this winter and 3D and am wondering if 6.24 is enough FOC to get good arrow flight. That is with Carbon Tech Hippo shafts at 29", with 80 grain glue in PDP speed points and Vanetec Super Spine 1.8s. That gives me great spine according to TAP but no FOC basically. If I go to 100 grain points the FOC is correct (I believe) but the dynamic spine is too soft. Please help with any ideas. Thanks.

Carl

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
For 3-d or indoor, I would say yes, but for any longer distance field archery, I would say no.

Todd

·
Registered
80 Posts
You should be alright. I am down around there and am shooting fine. I did drop down earlier this year because the weight of my bow allowed me drop weight and still be above 5 grains per inch. The only way I could drop wt off the arrow was take it out of the tip and they started flying weird. I went back to above 6% and it straightened back out.

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
It would be better and offer more control and consistency, especially INDOORS if the FOC was more in the 9 to 15% range, or even a bit more. My opinion is that less than 7 to 9% is a bit too critical for the pinpoint accuracy and group shooting (or hitting the same spot every time) you need...even indoors....let alone longer distances!

INDOORS, the last thing you need is speed...but pinpoint accuracy and forgiveness is critical to your success....it is much more easy than you think to have "fast misses" indoors, since anything less than a 300 puts you out of it, and it has gotten to the point that anything less than 300 with 55X's isn't considered "competitive".

You will find that most of the indoor shooters are shooting fatter shafts with very heavy points...mostly from 150 grains and upwards.

Hope this helps,

field14

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speed is not really a concern, although I would like to be as close to 285-ish as possible. I am wanting to shoot some indoor but primarily 3D.
I have shot nothing but CT Shafts for about 4 years and really like the consistency of the product and dont want to change, but unfortunatly, they dont have anything stiffer in the hippo line. So I am fairly stuck with a 400 shaft and to get it to spine right it makes my FOC too low. Thats if I want a "fat" shaft. I have shot the cheetahs but was looking for a little more in the way of diameter. I guess if I have to I will look at Fatboys or 22series GT to get what I want, but I dont want too. Any other ideas to stay with carbon tech?

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
wolfman_73 said:
Speed is not really a concern, although I would like to be as close to 285-ish as possible. I am wanting to shoot some indoor but primarily 3D.
I have shot nothing but CT Shafts for about 4 years and really like the consistency of the product and dont want to change, but unfortunatly, they dont have anything stiffer in the hippo line. So I am fairly stuck with a 400 shaft and to get it to spine right it makes my FOC too low. Thats if I want a "fat" shaft. I have shot the cheetahs but was looking for a little more in the way of diameter. I guess if I have to I will look at Fatboys or 22series GT to get what I want, but I dont want too. Any other ideas to stay with carbon tech?
You could always use those limb-bolt thingies to turn the pounds down for the 20 yard games...maybe set up 6 hippos with 100 (+) grain points too.:)

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
I agree. 285 for indoor spots is a bit much "overkill" in my opinion...heavier poundage and higher speeds are just unnecessary strain on the shooter and the result, in my experiences and observations are that VERY FEW, and I mean few and far between people are shooting 55X plus 300's on spots indoors that are shooting heavier poundages and higher speeds.

I understand that for 3-D, people THINK they must have the 280 or better (depending upon IBO or ASA)....but many would be better served by slowing things a tad and getting the GROUPS and their form under control and backing off a bit.

Here locally, nobody that I know that shoots their 3-D rig for NFAA 5-spot rounds does very well...consistency-wise, nor x-count wise. They normally just get tuckered out about halfway thru the 70 arrows (10 for practice), and the result is often one or two misses and the loss of lots of X's. Those that back off their poundage/speed seem to come up in score and X-count much more rapidly than those that stay with the high speed/poundage.

hope this helps....it isn't like you can't see the spot and you don't know how far away it is...hahahahaha. LOB "em in there.....well, maybe not THAT slow, but you know what I mean...

field14

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Field. I know exactly what you are sayin. And i may turn my bow downa few cranks to shoot spots, and the local 3D scene wouldnt hurt either. Just all my prep is for Redding and I would like to keep my speed up. I think my form is ok, not perfect but I know I can shoot fairly well, especially only 1 or 2 arrows at a time. I will shoot the OR state field tourney next year though. Not with the Hippos though, lol. I guess I could try the mini blazers instead of the Vanetecs, that will raise my FOC a tad bit closer and go from there. Thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts