Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always under the impression that 8125 should be avoided for recurve and stick-bows. However, in the recent thread >here< .... BearBowman Showed off his amazing Flemish strings, Upon a trip to his website I saw that he makes (really sweet) Flemish Twist out of 8125, in addition to the more traditional materials like Fast Flite, D75, TS-1.

I just ordered 8 spools of B-50 from Brownell, so the point is somewhat moot right now for me, but If I can use 8125 in Flemish Twist (not endless loop!) it would make lots of the kids happy in my youth group, because we have colors they like in 8125 and not in B-50.

·
I am nobody.........
8,659 Posts
Yes, no and maybe, all at the same time.

If the tips of the bow in question are reinforced, yes.

If they are not reinforced, no.

If you are not sure......maybe, but I would err on the safe side and use the B50 unless you are sure the tips are reinforced.

You might need to contact the individual bowyers to find out if their tips are reinforced and can handle the 8125.....

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would err on the safe side and use the B50 unless you are sure the tips are reinforced.
So, it would be a definite no-no on our dozen or so user made Hickory stick-bows, and my 1950's era Bear Tamerlane HC-300. :(
Okay, cool, thanks for the warning! The last thing I want is a bow violently self destructing in the hands of one of my kids... That would be a "bad thing" to say the least!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I know guys who use it on their selfbows....there is a lot of misinformation out there. I have NEVER seen a bow that was damaged by a properly made string regardless of material.

·
edthearcher
6,509 Posts
wow

you know if its an older recurve like your talking, most liked dacron or d50, because of the shock the string puts on the limbs, that may crack or seperate the glue joints. so my 2 cents would be to be careful:shade:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I know guys who use it on their selfbows....there is a lot of misinformation out there. I have NEVER seen a bow that was damaged by a properly made string regardless of material.
I have seen several bows damaged because the rite material was not used regaurdless the quality of the string.I have seen recurve bows without reinfoced limb tip delaminate due to strings made with materials other than dacron.I have also seen the teardrops ripped rite off the old nylon coated steel cables on older compounds because the correct material was not used.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks.

Though it did blow what was left of our yearly budget, I got a few spools of B-50 so we are good to go.
I can't be having bows blowing up on kids after they spent weeks making them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I love these threads...oh that string material will break your limbs...honest to god thats almost ridiculous....build up the loops and you can even use fast flight on self bows....and many of my friends do.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love these threads...

I made up a two bundle Flemish Twist last night and I must say: I DO NOT LIKE WORKING WITH B-50!!!

Perhaps it was the material, or perhaps it was the Brownell's wax but I found that it has a bad tendency to untwist and get lots of separation in the individual strands. I'm going to try using it on an endless loop string tonight, but over-all I'm not very impressed with it after working with BCY's Dyneema, and 8125.

·
I am nobody.........
8,659 Posts
I love these threads...oh that string material will break your limbs...honest to god thats almost ridiculous....build up the loops and you can even use fast flight on self bows....and many of my friends do.
I am only relaying what I have been told by trad bowyers. I have also seen, with my own 2 eyes, damage to limb tips that were not reinforced. If there is a chance of a problem, even if it is a remote chance, why take the risk if you don't have to?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Which bowyers are right and which ones are so stuck in a rut they cannot try new things? Why would I risk it...increased performance and yes QUIETNESS. I would suggest that anyone who is curious go over and check out the O L Adcock thread on Tradgang. I love how quiet my boo backed ipe bow is with D97 over B50...no overlays either. I will probably totally switch over to the high performance string materials even on my selfbows as soon as my B50 is used up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts