Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever stand downrange of an arrow in flight? I have, in fact many times at our archery club. When we shoot broadhead league the first shooter shoots, walk to the target, tapes off the hole then waits for the next shooter behind a wood wall (a thick one at that). Not once, have I ever heard the bow regardless of brand, model, arrows, broadheads...etc. It doest matter. The noise of the arrow in flight is surprisingly loud whether you are using blazers, feathers or quick spins. All you guys concerend about which bow is the quietest, rest assured the game you are shooting at could care less cause all they hear is a speeding arrow that is about to hit them.

And let the debate begin.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,781 Posts
Debate what, the truth?

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,127 Posts
The speed of sound is 343.2 metres per second (1,126 ft/s). Until some bow can break that speed it's important.

A deer can hear a LOT better than you can plus, you were standing behind a "very think wooden wall".

·
Registered
230 Posts
IMHO only factor between 15 and 30 yards. Under 15, the arrow is in or through the deer when the deer reacts. Past 30 they're unlikely to duck at the noise.

YYMV

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The speed of sound is 343.2 metres per second (1,126 ft/s). Until some bow can break that speed it's important.

A deer can hear a LOT better than you can plus, you were standing behind a "very think wooden wall".
Yes, Imagine how much better you could hear the arrow with no obstruction. Have you ever tried this?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I'll continue to do everything possible to make my bow as quiet as possible. Think about how quiet the woods are as opposed to the range you're at, which if it's anything like most ranges I shoot at has a lot of noise going on from people talking, laughing, etc. I think all the footage I've seen of deer jumping a string and the deer I've seen jump a string in person speaks for itself. I forget what show it was I watched the other day, maybe Midwest Whitetail that had a guy standing behind a wall to the side of a target. He was holding out a deer target on a stick and would drop it when he heard the bow go off...every time he was able to get it out of the way. Think about how much better a deer's reflexes and hearing are then ours. Everyone on here can, and I'm sure they will, debate this until their fingers are sore from all the typing, but I will continue to shoot a bow that is as quiet as I can make it...hasn't let me down yet. And yes, I've been downrange of bows going off and I have been able to hear the bow go off.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Ever stand downrange of an arrow in flight? I have, in fact many times at our archery club. When we shoot broadhead league the first shooter shoots, walk to the target, tapes off the hole then waits for the next shooter behind a wood wall (a thick one at that). Not once, have I ever heard the bow regardless of brand, model, arrows, broadheads...etc. It doest matter. The noise of the arrow in flight is surprisingly loud whether you are using blazers, feathers or quick spins. All you guys concerend about which bow is the quietest, rest assured the game you are shooting at could care less cause all they hear is a speeding arrow that is about to hit them.

And let the debate begin.
yep your right the arrow in flight makes a lot more noise than the bow, and the faster the arrow the more noise it is going to make.

but what nobody knows is how any one deer might react to that sound. If the deer has heard that sound before and was hit with an arrow before then that deer might duck jump or do something to get out of the way. On the other hand if the deer has never heard that sound before, it might freeze until the nosie is gone.
you just don't know how any one deer might react to anything on any given day.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll continue to do everything possible to make my bow as quiet as possible. Think about how quiet the woods are as opposed to the range you're at, which if it's anything like most ranges I shoot at has a lot of noise going on from people talking, laughing, etc. I think all the footage I've seen of deer jumping a string and the deer I've seen jump a string in person speaks for itself. I forget what show it was I watched the other day, maybe Midwest Whitetail that had a guy standing behind a wall to the side of a target. He was holding out a deer target on a stick and would drop it when he heard the bow go off...every time he was able to get it out of the way. Think about how much better a deer's reflexes and hearing are then ours. Everyone on here can, and I'm sure they will, debate this until their fingers are sore from all the typing, but I will continue to shoot a bow that is as quiet as I can make it...hasn't let me down yet. And yes, I've been downrange of bows going off and I have been able to hear the bow go off.
Some great points and I agree that a quiet bow cant hurt however as you stated, a deers hearing is in a different zip code compared to humans and ill guarantee there isnt a bow on the market that deer cant hear. The point is, the arrow is traveling at maximum speed when it leaves the bow so arrow noise is basically simultanious with bow noise, it just gets louder the closer it gets to the target.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
A quiet bow usually means a more efficient bow with less shock... So taking the attributes that come with a quiet bow, thats why its important...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts