Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing a number of Pros take out their rangefinders to determine yardage to target. Both my compound bows have a range adjustment for different yardage. I’m just not familiar with these types of optics and was wondering what some of you use and maybe suggest a model, or maybe even which one to stay away from?

Best budget model or recommended brand and model?

Cheers,

David
Canada

·
Registered
11,954 Posts
Indoor is 20 yards so you don’t need a range finder. 3D, field and hunting you will need one. Good optics are leupold, Leica and Nikon. Good budget ones I have are are halo. They don’t do half yardage and aren’t the best or clearest but I am going to upgrade to the leupold before 3D season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
BIG FRANK....
8,702 Posts
Bushnell range finder, not to terribly expensive, but mine has treated me well.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Indoor is 20 yards so you don’t need a range finder. 3D, field and hunting you will need one. Good optics are leupold, Leica and Nikon. Good budget ones I have are are halo. They don’t do half yardage and aren’t the best or clearest but I am going to upgrade to the leupold before 3D season.

Agree needed for 3-d and hunting

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Absolutely. And sight your bow in to YOUR range finder. I range indoor ranges I visit for the first time. I find some are 19 or even 18 yards. Haven't found a 21 yard indoor range yet, Interesting......
Definitely needed for 3d and Hunting.

Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ll have to check all of these out, for the number of times I’ll use one, I’ll probably go the budget route, don’t get me wrong I don’t want to go in cheap, just have to acclimate myself in using one and then tuning my sight against it.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I’ll have to check all of these out, for the number of times I’ll use one, I’ll probably go the budget route, don’t get me wrong I don’t want to go in cheap, just have to acclimate myself in using one and then tuning my sight against it.
Having your bow sighted into YOUR rangefinder is key. I had a cheap Simmons for probably 8 years that did me just as good as the higher end ones. Realistically the distances you would be shooting with a bow aren’t even close to what a rangefinder will range. Even a cheap one will shoot 300-500 yards. You are going to get better glass, magnification, longer more consistence yardage with the higher end ones. I recently got a vortex and it is much better quality and they stand behind their products 100%. You absolutely get what you pay for in rangefinders.... but a cheap one will fit the bill to start and is a great thing to have

·
Back Yard Champion
31,561 Posts
Bushnell makes a decent one. Mine is a 2004 model and still works like new. 1 yard increments, no elevation correction and I've done alright in Known 3D for both club and state sanctioned 3D events.

Indoor target is 20 yards - so no guessing.

Field is marked yardage - do you need one? No. Still, some of the more severe down and up hill shots is where a Range Finder with elevation correction.

3D is a two version thing. There is the traditional unknown where you guess yardage. Some of the top shooters are outstanding for guessing yardage because they practice guessing, using objects to gauge and whatever. Coming on strong some time back is Known Yardage and a Range Finder is required. And yes, those who shoot Known sight their bow in to their range finder.

Hunting is optional - personal choice. Good guessing for yardage still works. As low draw weight as my bow is set I can still get in the kill zone from 30 yards with my 20 yard pin, but then I practice. Figure the national average kill shot still remains in the 19 yard realm.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
I wouldn't go hunting without one, well unless you feel like starting one of those "I hit a deer , it's the broad heads fault" threads, then by all means go without one.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
No way I’d hunt without a range finder. Leopold is the range finder I have. It has a red LED display. Worth it’s weight in gold in the first 30 and last 30 minutes of light.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Indoor is a given - 20 yards. Hunting it is a plus to have one and also if you plan to do known 3D shooting.

·
Back Yard Champion
31,561 Posts
I wouldn't go hunting without one, well unless you feel like starting one of those "I hit a deer , it's the broad heads fault" threads, then by all means go without one.
New generation for you......

·
Registered
43,810 Posts
Don’t blow the deer of a lifetime by misjudging range. Buy a rangefinder. Use it and see how close you can judge ranges.

·
Registered
82 Posts
At 40 yards with a 70# bow and 500 grains arrow, drop is approximately 1" per yard. At 60 it's 1.5" per yard. 20 yards is a bit more forgiving at 1/2" per yard, with 30 yards at 2/3" per yard. If you misjudge range by 5 yards on a 40 yards target, you'll be off by about 5". The same judgement error at 60 yards would have you off target by almost 8".

Position random objects within a 60 yards radius and compare your visual estimation to your rangefinder readings. Then move around and repeat. You can make your own conclusions from that exercise. Now imagine the same exercise with different sized deer. Medium deer at 40 or large deer at 60? Doesn't leave much room for guessing.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Bushnell range finder, not to terribly expensive, but mine has treated me well.
Ditto. Definitely worth it. However, you'll hear "buy this $400 range finder" etc. Hell no. For archery, we're not shooting 350 yards here.... Get an inexpensive affordable Bushnell and spend $ elsewhere. If you are also rifle hunting, then I would invest in something better.

For purely indoors, dont think you need angle comp, so you can save even more $.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For bow hunting I use the Vortex 1300. It’s the cheapest LED rangefinder available. About $300 or less delivered to your door. This is important as I hut pigs in low light. The other rangefinders in that price point have a black readout. Completely pointless when it’s getting dark. It measures in full yards. Never meet a person that could shoot good enough to justify needing a fraction of yard measurement. I’m sure they are out there, just never meet them, ever. The accuracy is equal to my Terripan RF (original model not the new junk Terripen X) out to 300 yards. This is more than good enough for all bow hunting and most Varmint rifle hunting. Past that distance I can’t say as I haven’t tested it farther. Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Texas Hunter
1,219 Posts
No way I’d hunt without a range finder. Leopold is the range finder I have. It has a red LED display. Worth it’s weight in gold in the first 30 and last 30 minutes of light.
Also ranging objects that are black (pig, Bear, Etc.) on 3-D course or hunting is hard when display is black. Leopold has red display. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
11,954 Posts
For bow hunting I use the Vortex 1300. It’s the cheapest LED rangefinder available. About $300 or less delivered to your door. This is important as I hut pigs in low light. The other rangefinders in that price point have a black readout. Completely pointless when it’s getting dark. It measures in full yards. Never meet a person that could shoot good enough to justify needing a fraction of yard measurement. I’m sure they are out there, just never meet them, ever. The accuracy is equal to my Terripan RF (original model not the new junk Terripen X) out to 300 yards. This is more than good enough for all bow hunting and most Varmint rifle hunting. Past that distance I can’t say as I haven’t tested it farther. Hope this helps, good luck.
I don’t necessarily shoot good enough to need it for 3D but I can dial my sight to the exact yardage ie... 34.25, 34.87 etc... now for hunting yards is fine, but for target I want one that will do tenths of a yard.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
New generation for you......
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but IMO if you are taking a shot that using a rangefinder will be the difference between killing or missing, you shouldn't be taking that shot.
That being said I feel more comfortable with a rangefinder, but it shouldn't be relied upon to take long or unethical shots.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts