Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting started and I want to know
should a rangefinder be on my must have list? I’m not
going to get to hunt this season but I will be going to the range.
Can it wait or should I pony up for one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to get one. It will help you learn how to judge range for when you are ready for the hunt. You can pick up a decent one from lots of places even Walmart has them

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree that it is a very good idea... if you dont get one you will need to have some good landmarks where you hunt for yardage.. i have used mine on every shot I have ever taken with my bow

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree also. Make sure you test yourself once in a while. Try guessing the yardage to trees, rocks, whatever then range it and see if you were right. That way if Big Chalie comes in and your batteries are dead you still have a fighting chance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine was stolen a couple years ago, I was cheap and thought I could do without it cost me an elk. Under 30 yards probably not as critical but once you start shooting over that it’s a must have for me.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Not now that Garmin has a sight with built in range finder, LOL!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Do you guys range every deer before taking the shot? Or just range landmarks while sitting idle and then you use them when taking the shot?

Also, for guys that have single pins set at 25 yards. That normally means your shot is good from 20-30 yards no? (+- 5 yards). So do you really need a rangefinder?

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
Do you guys range every deer before taking the shot? Or just range landmarks while sitting idle and then you use them when taking the shot?

Also, for guys that have single pins set at 25 yards. That normally means your shot is good from 20-30 yards no? (+- 5 yards). So do you really need a rangefinder?
when you shoot out to 100......yes

·
Registered
147 Posts

Also, for guys that have single pins set at 25 yards. That normally means your shot is good from 20-30 yards no? (+- 5 yards). So do you really need a rangefinder

If I’m sitting in a spot I’ll range landmarks while I’m waiting just to be a step ahead, but if I’m still hunting through timber or I’m stalking an animal I usually have an arrow nocked with my rangefinder close by for easy access. I’ve ranged all the animals I’ve shot in the last couple years.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I've found my rangefinder useful while target shooting as well during the sight-in process. There's no guarantee whoever set the targets out measured the distances correctly.

Also I've found that different rangefinders may not be consistent with each other, so I sighted my bow into the readings me rangefinder gives me.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've found my rangefinder useful while target shooting as well during the sight-in process. There's no guarantee whoever set the targets out measured the distances correctly.

Also I've found that different rangefinders may not be consistent with each other, so I sighted my bow into the readings me rangefinder gives me.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Agree

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree it’s defiantly a great tool. I think you could get away with out one at first while shooting at a know distance range. But once you start hunting you are going to want one.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Range landmarks around the stand. Seldom is a deer gonna allow enough time to range it and then shoot unless it's milling around. Even in that scenario you have a lot of unnecessary movement..... If a deer is inside of 30 yds. it's not gonna matter to know the distance to the yard. If outside of 30 and especially closer to 40yds. then yes, I will range it if I can. I try to range a lot of trees in all directions out to 50 yards.....better to know ahead of time. I did most of my hunting before range finders were invented so I'm good at judging yardage but range finders are awesome and can make you a better judge of distance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are a lot of good reasons why you should have one. It generally improves estimating skills and replaces your binoculars to name a few. Of course, you want to have a clean shot and not track a wounded animal.

9,037 Posts
There are a lot of good reasons why you should have one. It generally improves estimating skills and replaces your binoculars to name a few. Of course, you want to have a clean shot and not track a wounded animal.
Hi...this is a good statement...and I will add to it. If you are learning to judge yardage then this is a great time to invest in a rangefinder as it will aid you immeasurably. I started off cheap with a yardage pro from Bushnell and have since graduated to a Leica 1000 and a Leupold TBR DNA 1200i. I hunt and compete...a lot...I do mean I shoot every day it seems like and I use the rangefinders quite a bit. I even kept my bushnell as it is a backup. The Leica is used for hunting as it does not have yardage down to a tenth of a yard like the Leupold does and I need that for what I shoot in competition. So, I use the Leica for hunting as it has extremely clear optics and it is really reliable and it has a 7 power capability so for bow hunting it is perfect...angle compensated too. The Leupold is my competition as it reads to a tenth of a yard, is angle compensate, has a line of sight and a bow mode, has a 6x power lens, and it does cut through mist/fog better than any other rangefinder I have ever tried...everyone in my class had to rely on my yardage at the stake for 1/2 of a tournament due to that fact and they had several different brands that are major brands that just did not work. So...do you need it?...you decide and then you may want to get a cheap one at first to figure out if you are going to use it regularly...then you can get a better one when you need it. Or...just take the plunge and invest now in a really good one. Hope this helps. Cheers!
Fred

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't hunt from treestands: because of where I hunt, I stalk. i seldom get to use my RF in the field (but I wold not go without one).

the decision to get a rangy for a new archer is an investment in your future ability to estimate distance. Basically, that is one skill you really want to gain for hunting.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I can remember how many giant bucks/bulls got away from missing back in the day without a rangefinder! I missed a world record couse deer (143 3/8"), I over judged him and shot over his back. I know his exact size,
Because a friend of mine killed him about a week later! A good rangefinder is a must for me!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Hunted many years without and many years with...... I prefer with.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
For the guys hunting for tree stands, do you ever range find to your tree and then mark those locations with little flags, like 20 yards, 25, 30 etc?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts