Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or is it just another thing to screw with ive been shooting pins my whole life and am pretty successfull in open but im curious to see what the whole world of scopes is all about tell me yalls oppinions

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Scope

It's nice to have an uncluttered sight picture. You can set your pin for the proper distance.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just switched over to a scope this year but I am starting to think I will be back to pins next year. I took my bow with the pin sight to shoot league the other day and shot the same score as the scoped bow. Pins just let you shoot a scope you are trying to guess the exact yardage. I think that takes some of the fun out of it. My opinion

Ben

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
scope

well you don't have five different yardage pins cluttering up your sight picture.. also you can try it and not shoot with a lens for magnification, some of your top shooters shoot a slide bar with a scope but don't shoot a lens!!!

Hey everything is worth a try, if you don't like it, go back to what you doninate!!

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Scope

Since I had to move up to one of the Open Classes I figured I would get a nice sight and scope.

It was ok but I did not see much improvement so I sold it and went back to pins.
Shot two tournaments with the pins and hated it.

Today I am putting a new sight and scope on and really giving it a try, AGAIN.

I like the open sight window without the pins clutter. And since all the other girls in my class are shooting scopes, I figured I had better also. Since I need all the help I can get and why would I handicap myself.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I shoot IBO MBO class and use a target bar with a scope, no lens. I really like the sight picture and being able to shoot with the pin on my desired POI, instead of having to gap. Just don't forget to reset that sight each target.

CG

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
lens's

scopes and lens's arent for everyone. I have a friend of mine who shoots really well with pins, but struggles with a scope.. Me personally I like the scope, and have always shot scope and dont know much different.
The problem I think comes with commitment... with a lens when you dial it in your pretty much "commited" to whatever yardage you pick. you then put your pin on the x. and let fly.
Pin shooters gap or shoot above or below a specific yardage, they may put the pin on the back or other certain point on a target and shoot. you may have a 25 yard pin shooting at a 20 yard target so you aim under the x.. etc.. I also think that pin shooters are less suseptable to T>P. because of gapping techniques... seldom does the pin fall Directly on the center of the x, as it would shooting a scope and lens. I use a 7x lens, and sometimes it plays with you , because you can see so clearly the spot that you aim at, you are inclined to second guess your shot more.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Contact Brian Stokes in Meridian, MS. He makes a fine lens and it is very inexpensive (around $50) compared to other lenses.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I realize scopes aren't for everyone, and your mileage may vary... but when I went from pins to scope, my average 3D scores went up 12-15 points. There's something to be gained when you don't have to shoot the "gaps." Guess the yardage, set the pin, and hold it where you want to hit. Simple as that.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
SINCE WHEN ARE U SUCCESSFUL IN OPEN CLASS RIFE??? LOL THE ONLY SHOOT U SHOT AT WAS WITH ME! LMAO...WHAT DID U SCORE THAT DAY? sorry just had to call BS!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
patt im gonna kick ur azz next time we shoot u just wait:darkbeer:

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
i tried the scope thing and quickly found out that i shoot fixed pins a whole lot better

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I also tried a scope for a few shoots and found out I do much better with pins, I have shot pins for 18yrs and I gap shoot pretty tight, Last shoot I shot with 3 guys shooting scopes, one had been in it for 10yrs+ with a scope, I was 3rd out of all four, scores were 253, 252, me at 251 and 248. They way I look at it is its just what you like and get used to, give it a go and see what you think it may help you or hurt you but there is only one way to know

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I've tried shooting a scope without a lense and the targets beyond 35 yds start to get fuzzy, let alone all scoring rings are gone after 25 yds. I shoot a 6X lens with a No.1 clarifier and that is about the only way I can see the pin and the target with minimal distortion. My vision prescription is -5.25 and I wear trifocals. With that much correction, the corners of my glasses aren't quite the prescription I need to see clearly, especially the inside corner of my right eye, and that is where you look through your glasses to the peep. My optician also shoots archery and makes sure my frames are narrower to help with this. I've also found that I need the clarifier in my hunting setup where I shoot pins. I looked into the shooting glasses where the focal point is moved to the inside of the lense, but with my blindness- I would still need to keep my regular glasses on my neck to walk around the courses. I carry enough stuff now.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
When I first started to get serious about 3D, I tried to shoot with a lens in my scope. I quickly found out that there are certain situations where a lens is a disadvantage. For instance, if you are standing in the sun and shooting into a dark tunnel at a dark target, forget about seeing the scoring rings. You pretty much have to guess where they are and go for it. I shot a lot of targets in the ass during my lens phase. :embara: :D

Be that as it may, I no longer shoot a lens, and haven't for quite a few years. Every once in a while I get the urge to try one of my old ones, but it quickly goes away after a few shots. I know some folks can shoot a lens with both eyes open, but I never could figure out how they do it.

There was someone on here a few years back that had a funny line in their signature, and it went something like this:

"I used to shoot pins, but I learned I could miss more accurately with a scope." :confused::p

·
Registered
768 Posts
Here's my take;

In ideal situations a scope on a 3D range has some distinct advantages like improving your ability to clearly see the spot your aiming at in better detail. It simplifies your sight picture and it gives you more of a variety of aiming aperatures.

On the flip side, if its raining you're screwed. If your looking into the sun at a target in the shadows, you're screwed. If you shoot a clarifier and it gets dirty or wet your screwed. So if you shoot that type equipment you need to be prepared to deal with the possibilities.

I like the single pin and a small .10 pin at that. I also like to be able to dial in the exact yardage and hold the single pin on the spot I want to hit. I normaly shoot a scope without a lense but I am considering trying a lense again.

I would suggest that if you shoot a scope with a lense, set two scales. One with the lense and one for just the pin no lense. Put one scale on one side of the slide and one on the other. That way you can always pull the lense out if it rains or if the sun is staying in your eyes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's my take;

In ideal situations a scope on a 3D range has some distinct advantages like improving your ability to clearly see the spot your aiming at in better detail. It simplifies your sight picture and it gives you more of a variety of aiming aperatures.

On the flip side, if its raining you're screwed. If your looking into the sun at a target in the shadows, you're screwed. If you shoot a clarifier and it gets dirty or wet your screwed. So if you shoot that type equipment you need to be prepared to deal with the possibilities.

I like the single pin and a small .10 pin at that. I also like to be able to dial in the exact yardage and hold the single pin on the spot I want to hit. I normaly shoot a scope without a lense but I am considering trying a lense again.

I would suggest that if you shoot a scope with a lense, set two scales. One with the lense and one for just the pin no lense. Put one scale on one side of the slide and one on the other. That way you can always pull the lense out if it rains or if the sun is staying in your eyes.
thats smart stuff right there thanks i think thats exactly what ill do

1 - 20 of 20 Posts