Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
RayJ
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After aggravating my shoulder that I have already had one surgery on,I am dropping down even more in bow weight.I plan to shoot 50# or maybe even less.I was just wondering what setups your 50# bows are,bow kind and ibo of bow,draw length,exact poundage,arrow kind and weight, including point weight,speed on chrono,and if you hunt or just target shoot.Also,hunting success stories would be good.I want an idea of what performance I might expect.

I am currently shooting a Mathews Z2,29" draw,and 54#.It is shooting 266fps.I guess if I drop down to 48# then I would lose about 12fps,right?I know low draw weights will kill deer fine but I just hate to lose trajectory on longer shots.I guess that is something that I will have to adjust to.I also shoot a longbow and it is slow but I shoot semi-instinctive and keep my shots to under twenty yards.Using sights on my compound requires good yardage estimation.Range finder might be my next purchase.Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
I previously have shot 50-52 for elk and deer. I did this with nitrum turbo last year. I bumped it up to 58lbs this year with an I34 as the draw works great with my shoulder. I keep my arrow aroudn 405-425 and have had no issues shooting between 250-265fps.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have been shooing 51# for several years due to shoulder issue. I have harvested several deers at that weight. I only shoot a 325 grain arrow and usually get pass through.

·
RayJ
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been shooing 51# for several years due to shoulder issue. I have harvested several deers at that weight. I only shoot a 325 grain arrow and usually get pass through.
What kind and spine arrow are you using? I thought that a lighter arrow might help not to lose so much speed.

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
Depending your draw length, but I use a 500 spine arrow. I have been using a 50lb bow for years with no issues. I had a Hoyt Faktor 34 at 50lbs and that bow liked the 400 spine arrow. 500 tuned ok but 400 tuned best. I would say if your over 28.5 then go with 400.

·
RayJ
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depending your draw length, but I use a 500 spine arrow. I have been using a 50lb bow for years with no issues. I had a Hoyt Faktor 34 at 50lbs and that bow liked the 400 spine arrow. 500 tuned ok but 400 tuned best. I would say if your over 28.5 then go with 400.
I am currently using .400's with 54# but wondered if I might need .500's if I dropped below 50#.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
Therapy Exercise Bands may help. I use mine just like I was pulling a Bow, which also helps you learn to use your Back Muscles and put less stress on the shoulder. I had Rotator Cuff Surgery about 5 years on my right shoulder and I shoot right handed. I use the Therapy Bands and also do exercises with a light weight (15 lbs.).

Therapy Bands.....http://www.walmart.com/ip/Valeo-4in-Latex-Stretch-Bands-Set-of-3/24607466

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
I am currently using .400's with 54# but wondered if I might need .500's if I dropped below 50#.

I use 350 spine at 48-52 and 330 for 58. I like to use a bit of weight up front, with lower weight it helps.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts

I would not worry about being overspined. I shoot a 400 spine at 56# and during the summer I go down to around 50# and my arrows shoot fine.

·
RayJ
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Therapy Exercise Bands may help. I use mine just like I was pulling a Bow, which also helps you learn to use your Back Muscles and put less stress on the shoulder. I had Rotator Cuff Surgery about 5 years on my right shoulder and I shoot right handed. I use the Therapy Bands and also do exercises with a light weight (15 lbs.).

Therapy Bands.....http://www.walmart.com/ip/Valeo-4in-Latex-Stretch-Bands-Set-of-3/24607466
I will look at that.I had rotator cuff surgery five years ago on my left shoulder and same surgery about two years ago on right shoulder.I am right handed and my right shoulder is still giving me trouble.I shot my bow a lot the other day and I am really hurting now.Dropping down in bow weight is a must.I will probably need to rehab it like you recommended.

·
RayJ
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would not worry about being overspined. I shoot a 400 spine at 56# and during the summer I go down to around 50# and my arrows shoot fine.
Thanks.I will shoot .400's first to be sure they fly ok.I hate to change arrows.I just bought 8-9 CE Blue Streak .400's and they weren't cheap.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Got a target bow, Pro Comp Elite, set up at 50 lb and 27.25" DL shooting 600 grain X Cutters. IBO is 315 fps with Spiral X cams. 90 grain tips with 270 grains of additional weights. 183 fps on my chrono. For 3D and field, I plan to get 500 spine Ultralights and try to hit 270 fps. I'll likely end up around 260 fps though.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Had to put on a 175gn point on my .400 Fat Boys to get the numbers to work when I went to 50 for indoors.
I like it...wish I would have done this years ago.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Being in my middle 70`s i shoot a 52lb. Alpha Elite using CXL-150`s cut to 26.25 using 75 grain heads along with Pro Max and Hunter max vanes.I do not hunt anymore due to a bad ticker but still enjoy punching paper. total grains of 340 on the arrows.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Right now for indoor, I'm shooting my PSE Supra Max (put it down for a bit and came back to it but that's another story) at about 32#. It's the #40 max model which every bow I'll probably ever get for the rest of my life will be. It shoots my outdoors arrows (ACE 470's at 28" with 100 grain points, a little under 320 grains total) at 237 fps or thereabouts and it has no problem getting them in the gold at 50 meters.

The SM IBO's at somewhere around 320fps or something like that.

I've shot it with the limb bolts all the way in at its 40lb peak weight a couple of times and it's completely scary with my ACE's and my GT ultralight indoor arrows (about 325 grain 400's). I can't ever imagine needing more than even #40 with that bow, much less having to pull 50 or more.

I could hunt smaller game with it at its 40lb setting no problem, I believe though I'd definitely want to be up close and do a good shot. So I don't even see the need to do #50, at least with this type of bow.

DM

·
Registered
260 Posts
i'm shooting a faktor 34 at 52# getting 282 fps with 400 ce at 28.5 have no trouble with pass thru on deer.just my personal but i went to fixed broadhead over exspandable thinking that it helps with kin energy

·
RayJ
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'm shooting a faktor 34 at 52# getting 282 fps with 400 ce at 28.5 have no trouble with pass thru on deer.just my personal but i went to fixed broadhead over exspandable thinking that it helps with kin energy
Your bow is smokin.282 fps with 52# is very good.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
This is my second year shooting 50 lbs. Absolutely love it. Makes shooting fun again. 15' nitrum 30, maxed out at 51.5 lbs 28" dl, 400 spine, 390 gr gt hunter shafts. At 27" long.
260 fps. Just ordered an Obsession Defcon m7 with 50 lb limbs.
Deer smoking machine!

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
2015 Pearson MarXman 50 pound max set at 46 pounds. 28 inch draw with a 27 inch arrow at 280 grains.

I'm no longer out there among the hunters and all I do is target, 3D, field, and indoor. So I find I have all I need to shoot.

Recent shoulder surgery has me thinking of temporarily dropping down to 40 pound max for a few months until my shoulder is back up to par.

·
RayJ
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replies.I have some 50# limbs coming this week(I hope)and I will probably set it at 50 even and see how that feels.It is possible that I may have to drop below 50# depending on how my shoulder feels.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts