Archery Talk Forum banner

Is better to buy a new limbs or a new riser?

3094 Views 18 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Captain Kirk
Hi guys,
i have been thinking about upgrade my equipment, but i dont know if i buy a better riser or a better limbs first,
cause i dont know if i buy a better limb, if will it get damage by the riser.

My current equipment:

Riser: SF premium plus 25",
Limbs: SF axiom plus 70" 34lbs

which one should i upgrade first?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
Both are very ok pieces.
Do you want to upgrade your draw weight or only "better" equipment?
If you buy 700$ limbs nothing will happen to your riser.

If you want to stay at your draw weight and just upgrade in quality, a decent riser will be the best base for the rest getting replaced in future.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both are very ok pieces.
Do you want to upgrade your draw weight or only "better" equipment?
If you buy 700$ limbs nothing will happen to your riser.

If you want to stay at your draw weight and just upgrade in quality, a decent riser will be the best base for the rest getting replaced in future.
Hi Captain Kirk,
i dont mind much about the draw weight,
right now my limbs are at 36lbs on fingers,
if a buy a new limb maybe it will be a 38lbs carbon/foam
i'm looking for a better performance in general,
so i dont know which one will help me more to improve my scores,

· Archery Coach
23,395 Posts
New shooters tend to outgrow limbs far more often than risers. I tell a new shooter to get a good riser and decent quality limbs. However if you are an experienced shooter who has maxed out his weight, then maybe new limbs are the way to go-faster and more stable.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New shooters tend to outgrow limbs far more often than risers. I tell a new shooter to get a good riser and decent quality limbs. However if you are an experienced shooter who has maxed out his weight, then maybe new limbs are the way to go-faster and more stable.
Hi Jim,
i'm an intermediate archer,
i have been training for almost 2 years,
so i think now is the time to improve my equipment,
its the first time upgrading my bow , so i dont think i mixed weight
but i dont really know, what did u mean?
i dont have problem to draw my bow and i have been in few Competitions,
do you think is better for me to try a new limb upgrade ?

· Registered
1,201 Posts
In my opinion, I would go riser first. A high quality riser will get more out of your limbs IMO, but somewhere you will want to look at your limbs as well. When I moved from a Core Spark to a Gillo G1L, I noticed immediately the difference in performance when it came to my limbs. I went from shooting 700 VAPs to 600 VAPs with the same limbs. Not sure why, all I can think of is a more sound base, I don't know. May not mean much, but it does show that the type of riser used does affect the overall performance of the limbs. Plus there was some extra improvements such as being able to adjust my tiller bolts without having to unstring. Anyway just a better platform.

· Pronounced like 'RC Cola'
1,311 Posts
I also vote for a new riser. Buy a top of the line riser so that you will never have to get another riser again. No offense to the SF risers but I have noticed a lot of heavy vibration coming from them. A Hoyt Epik or W&W AXT will serve you well for the rest of your archery career.

· 12 stepper for gear...
4,195 Posts
Since you are shooting a premium plus, I will say riser.

But even better, with some patience you can get a couple year old top end riser and top end limbs for the price of either new.

Cheers
Erik

· Registered
2,860 Posts
An aluminim casted enry level riser like the SF premium plus 25" has its limits in poundage around 34 to 38 pounds maximum, then it really bends too much and may even break. Other manufacturers of similar risers cleary advise not to use such kind of risers for medium - high poundages . It is what you have paid for, a very cheap ENTRY LEVEL riser only.
So, a good riser first, then limbs, plunger and sight in the order.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys,
for sure i will go for the riser,
now im trying to decide which one i will buy,
i have been thinking about thoses risers:

Hoyt Formula Excel Pro
fivics FX1 riser
Gillo G2
W&W Winex

the most expensive is the winex, so i want to know if the others are at the same level or near it,

· Registered
63 Posts
I'm actually in the exact same boat as you: SF Premium+ riser with Axiom limbs looking to upgrade.
Reading this thread reaffirmed my thoughts about getting a top end riser rather than limbs since I'll still be upgrading limbs for a good half year to a year.

Only question is (to those that provided input): would riser technology today hold up 5-10+ years down the line? Conversely, how are TOTL risers from 5-10+ years ago holding up today?
I'm thinking of getting a high end carbon riser such as the Uuhka UProLite or the W&W Wiawis nano tft.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
Only question is (to those that provided input): would riser technology today hold up 5-10+ years down the line? Conversely, how are TOTL risers from 5-10+ years ago holding up today?
I'm thinking of getting a high end carbon riser such as the Uuhka UProLite or the W&W Wiawis nano tft.
Not sure about 5-10 years. But my main bow (Hoyt Axis) is 18 years old and backup bow (Hoyt Axis) is 17 years old. Both probably still have about 50 years in them. My club mate has three of them, and another one has one.

Buy a quality riser, it will last as long as you want to look at it. Only risers with structural design problems ever really break. Though the only riser I've had that had carbon in it (W&W Xpert) did.

· Registered
5,223 Posts
I'm actually in the exact same boat as you: SF Premium+ riser with Axiom limbs looking to upgrade.
Reading this thread reaffirmed my thoughts about getting a top end riser rather than limbs since I'll still be upgrading limbs for a good half year to a year.

Nothing wrong with my old Hoyt Matrix, it's about 13-14 years old, was shot ALOT before I got it, and it maybe the best over-all riser I've ever owned, and I currently own five 25" risers, and recently bought another 27" Hoyt riser...I agree with Bob Nikon, maybe just look for a well cared for, used, older Top Shelf riser..World Class equipment from 5 yeard ago will still out-shoot 999.99 percent of all Archers on the planet....The money saved by buying used will allow for more money toward a better set of limbs, even a well cared for set of used limbs will be an improvement over the limbs You are shooting now....Jim

· Registered
240 Posts
Thiago, you can find some threads here - just search for "winact vs winex" eg.

I find a riser is a very personal thing resp. feeling. Both are good products but the Winact VT had a newer design more towards the Ino AXT.
On my opinion, the Winact VT on actual discount is the best bang in this price range.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.