Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or did I just get a lemon?
After 2 years of frustration I don't think it's me. I just spent over an hour fletching 2 arrows with my Bitz. First, the thing you turn wouldn't click on the final setting so the last fetch on arrow 1 was off. Redo. The real issue I have over and over is that the thing you turn freezes in the middle of an arrow. I have to pound it out with a screwdriver and hammer and scrape it and the part it fits in forever and it might start to turn again. Finally today I had to coat it liberally wth gun oil just to make it turn the last time for the final fletch on arrow 2. This stuff happens every time I fletch arrows wth it. On a good day I'll do 3 arrows before it freezes.
Anybody suggest a better jig?

·
Banned
17,821 Posts
sounds odd for sure...i have 3 bitz jigs and all work flawlessly for me.
have you taken the nock receiver apart or messed with the 3 spring/set screws?

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
You are seriously messing up a great tool. If you have to pound on it and scrape it with a screw driver, YOU are doing something very wrong! My advice to you, is to have your arrows done at a shop. From the description of your mechanical abilities, you'll destroy anything you put your hands on.

PS. Use grease, NOT gun oil!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've been using the same two Bitzenburgers for almost 20 years with no problems, literally hundreds of dozens of arrows through them. I can usually get a dozen arrows with vanes done in about 40 minutes.

The folks at Bitzenburger are great. My experience has been that they back up their products. I'd suggest giving them a call and let them have a shot at working it out with you.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Try taking the De-tent Balls/Springs out and cleaning everything with acetone, including the holes themselves. I put 1 drop of light oil on each ball then reassemble. Be careful not to tighten the set screws to tight or it will bind when you rotate the receiver. If it does bind, back the set screws out about a 1/4 turn at a time until it works smoothly. Also when you have it apart check for burrs in the barrel and the receiver itself.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
You have a defect or have the nock receiver adjusted very wrong. Go to the website ,and follow the directions.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
We have 24 Bits on a turn table working flawlessly for 14 years! Back the 3/32 hex screw out 2 turns on the nok receiver. Also take out the phillips heads screw...this will allow you to completely remove nok receiver. Clean out any glue, rust, residue, and also remove the gun oil. (Oil is not recommended by Bitz) Reinstall in reverse and you should see your jig reborn!

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
You've got the screws cranked down to far for the nock receiver...Bitz jigs are damn near bomb proof and the best on the market, you just have to set them up right.

·
74,535 Posts
More bitz jigs in archery shops with more bozos doing arrows on them than any other jig out there.

There built like tanks but obviously you or someone has not follow the instrucations. I sure you could send it to thme for pepair or to test.

Mine works flawless.

DB

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
or did I just get a lemon?
After 2 years of frustration I don't think it's me. I just spent over an hour fletching 2 arrows with my Bitz. First, the thing you turn wouldn't click on the final setting so the last fetch on arrow 1 was off. Redo. The real issue I have over and over is that the thing you turn freezes in the middle of an arrow. I have to pound it out with a screwdriver and hammer and scrape it and the part it fits in forever and it might start to turn again. Finally today I had to coat it liberally wth gun oil just to make it turn the last time for the final fletch on arrow 2. This stuff happens every time I fletch arrows wth it. On a good day I'll do 3 arrows before it freezes.
Anybody suggest a better jig?

I would send it packing, see if you can send it back, you might have a bad one it seems, buy an arizona ez

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
You might have a Lemon ... I have had my Bitz. since 1995 still works like brand new ..

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
to be fair the old Bitz were great two years ago also when i got a new one they are a different feel no center markings . I don't get the feel click when i turn the arrow .

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Do you fully understand the set screw arrangement?.....are they specifically set for the setup you are doing?
You took a hammer and screwdriver to it????

Something is not set right, sounds like someone tightened all the screws and its not indexing right.
now you may have burrs and it may not work without deburring.

The bitz is the. Best out there aside from firenocks.....that said its the best in a realistic price range. Dorges is an awesome machine and I want one, but the bitz is the #1 for the top pros as well as the mass production suppliers.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Bitz' is a GREAT jig. Probably the best. There's just something wrong with yours is all. In the last two years you should have had it torn apart and fixed by now. Right?

·
Bone Collector
5,454 Posts
Bitz is the best on the market IMO. You're doing something wrong.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts