Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy who has different camo depending on where he is hunting. I was brought up to believe that the most important things in hunting are movement, outline/shape and color, in that order. I can see how camo makes a big difference in hiding your outline but you can do the same thing by thinking about the animals view and using the background and foliage to conceal that. I grew up on a ranch. The hunters in my family were my grandfather and uncles and I can’t ever remember them wearing camo. I normally wear an OD Green shirt and Khaki trousers (Just neutral colors). I also mostly wear my hat until I get into position. I seem to do just as well as my buddy. There is one reason I don’t camo up. You can run into a lot of people while hunting. Many times I have drove up to a farm and introduced myself, told them who I am, where I am from and what I am doing, and asked if they had seen any game. I have had many offers to hunt on their farm and made some great buddies as a result. I don’t think that I would have been so warmly received if had shown up covered in camo. Is there anyone else out there who thinks camo is overrated?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd say for deer hunting definitely overrated. When deer hunting in a blind or up in a tree it's certainly not as important as say, sitting up against a tree on the ground. Turkey hunting is a different matter though, they can pick you out better than a deer can. As you say, movement is critical, deer are great at detecting movement and can localize sound extremely well like a turkey can. They can't see detail like a turkey and actually see color different than we do. That's why a guy wearing an orange vest can get by with it as long as a deer doesn't catch him moving.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Aggree with above, up close and personal on the ground, very important to breakup your outline...Up in a tree, not so sure.. Unless deer look up? But even than, if your a wider profile than the tree, the deer will more than likely spot ya.

Big mistake I see some guys make is not putting camo on their face or putting it on properly...Black should only go on the furthest points on face .. ie nose etc..

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
Absolutely.

Rifle hunters are forced to wear blaze orange and in wooded areas most deer are killed within 75 yards. I killed most of my rifle killed deer within 40 yards and most from the ground.

If you sit still you can wear a white t-shirt and blue jeans and kill deer.

Try that with an animal that camo does matter to like a duck and you'll never raise your gun.

·
Midwest is the Best!
5,202 Posts
I use updated camo...First Lite,Kuiu etc... But, My Father-InLaw hasn't used full decked out camo in 20 years! He may throw on a Carhartt camo jacket & some khaki bibs but that's it...

He still kills great dear on a regular basis.

·
Registered
24,065 Posts
I have been using ASAT since the 1990's and the overall opinion of its effectiveness is pretty well known. It isn't pretty or fashion camo, but it works with the game animals I have encountered. When you can be walking along the edge of a picked corn field and a flock of turkeys suddenly appear about 50 yards ahead of you, it is a good challenge for your camo. I have been in that position wearing ASAT and they simply ignored me as part of the landscape and continued out to forage. After standing like a statue for about 10 minutes, I began to slowly make my way to the edge of the woods where my stand was located and did not spooke the flock. Try that with a white T-shirt and jeans........:confused:

I've also been 16' in a totally leafless tree in late December wearing my ASAT insulated bibs with two doe groups coming together beneath me. 17 pairs of wary eyes after surviving early archery and firearms season, and I not only went undetected but killed one with my recurve that morning. Again, do that in a white T-shirt and jeans. If you have to buy warmer clothing to withstand the elements, why not make it work in your favor with a proven camo pattern over tan Carhartt bibs made of noisy fabric??? If it is just to prove you can pull it off without camo, I am guessing you can sometimes make it work. But with quality gear in great patterns at your disposal, you are simply being contrary to go across the grain and prove a point. Especially when you can get some very good deals on used clothing in the AT classifieds. A bowhunter can kill deer without a nice bow, fancy arrows, a rangefinder, Walmart BH from a "stand" of nailed boards in a tree too........but is that the path you choose simply to prove you are a skilled hunter????

·
Registered
373 Posts
Overrated. I wear a camo top and brown pants from deer hunting to coyote calling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
I believe it comes down to movement and confidence. I have killed turkeys next to a tree with just a black coat on and a few turkeys with a white t shirt. Deer are the same. If you think it works and gives you the confidence then its worth every penny you spend on it. I have a entire basement full of camo hunting cloths. I use a pair of green wool pants a wool plaid pullover and a black coat most of the time

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Overrated ? Yes. But that doesn't mean it's not useful. I believe being motionless is definitely the most important aspect. But I also believe that you can get away with small motions more often if you are wearing camo. I also think that animals are less likely to decider what you are and tend to relax sooner after they spot you motion if you wear camo. After all , you can't be successful at bowhunting if you never move.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,759 Posts
Of course camo helps. Do you need it no......especially for you folks talking about 40 - 75 yard shots......but this is a bow hunter forum......lol. Granted that seems to be the "norm" these days but if you like shooting deer really close with a bow camo is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
For deer most of it is probably overrated, stand hunting. I think it is good to blend in as much as possible but movement is more important. For deer stalking I think... it's more important.

For turkey very important
Waterfowl important
Calling yotes important.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
If you set still and don't move they walk right up to you rifle season with orange on and don't know you are there.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I don't think it's overrated. It's just another tool. Not every tool works in every situation. Sometimes it's not needed, sometimes it's your most important piece of equipment.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
It is fashion statement and might build confidence in the hunter, but it does not give an advantage. Some like it, some don't, to each their own I suppose.

·
Airborne Archery
9,089 Posts
Camo, isn't always necessary but can help. If you move and a deer sees the movement the camp might break up your outline just enough for deer not to run off. Some camo looks like a blob in a tree so an ASAT type pattern just to name one can help not look like a blob.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts