Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm putting this the right way because I love to shoot compounds. But bows are becoming smoother and more comfortable to shoot, accessories are making them far more accurate and the best skill shooters are becoming almost monotonous in their repetitive accuracy. As an example, the last couple of Vegas Shoots at 20 yards had over 20 people each year that shot perfect 900 scores. 90 near perfect arrows and the x-count was above 90% for most of the very top shooters. That means that the current top shooters were expected to put over 90% of their arrows in a 3/4 inch spot. And when they do it, they aren't even really in the money yet - they just qualify for the shoot-off to see who gets into the good money prizes. So they have to shoot another dozen arrows or so and all of them have to be in the 3/4 inch x ring to be in the top group. So final tally of around 100 arrows with 93 or 94 in the X to win.

I'm sorry, I do appreciate how difficult that is but it still becomes akin to watching paint dry. These guys almost never miss. Add to this the fact they allow the fat arrows to cut the lines and you have some very long sessions without a miss. Maybe increasing distance, limiting arrow diameter further or adding bonus X targets with penalties for misses. Something a bit less automatic.

The less skilled the compound shooters are, the more suspense there is in the competition. Shouldn't be that way...at least to my mind. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Erm.. Vegas is only one of the many target disciplines, and, honestly, the easiest one to score maximum score in qualifications. Indoor WA - only X ring count for 10, try to score 300 there or to get a perfect 150 for 15 arrows in finals - that's what you need to compete against the best ;-) Or go outside and score 350+ on WA 50m or 1400 in FITA, that will be competitive enough not to bet bored, beleive me ;-)

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Well, approximately 24 shooters scored the perfect 900 in Vegas [including Paige in the women's division and Brady in recurves], and over 3800 entries, so that "easy boring" perfect score was accomplished by less than 0.64% of the competetors...

Think the WA "baby X" perfect 600 has been done less than 10 times ever in competition [last I heard it was six times, but that's been a while ago now], and I think Schloesser has three of those.

On the other hand, 43 nearly identical cars driving 500 miles in a circle, would rather watch any archery event.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you are bored try FITA outdoor and try to score 1440 (30-50-70 and 90 meters).
My personal record is only 1,325 points and it was a spectacular day for me in terms of sensations and good shots; I can't imagine the feeling of being able to shoot around the 1400s.

Indoor (18 meters) was always a bit monotonous for me.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,767 Posts
I'm not bored when I shoot my bow.....I get to watch nature and then get to shoot a moving target that is alert and interactive. All from a tree stand at unknown yardages many times in awkward positions and less than perfect weather.

Usually I only get to shoot one arrow at these events and it's not fun for others to watch but if I win I get a freezer full of meat and possibly some wall art for a trophy.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
If you are bored try FITA outdoor and try to score 1440 (30-50-70 and 90 meters).
My personal record is only 1,325 points and it was a spectacular day for me in terms of sensations and good shots; I can't imagine the feeling of being able to shoot around the 1400s.

I agree...20 is too easy for the current gear

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Easy? No. Not even for the pros. These guys are talented and they put in the work. Yes, equipment is better but and it ain't "all" the Indian. One hick up and you're done.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It sounds like compound archery is not the thing that is boring to you. It's watching others competing in compound archery that is boring.

Participating in a sport is infinitely more stimulating than watching someone else do it; and if a certain set of conditions in your own routine becomes monotonous, then a change of scenery or conditions is needed.

I don't put any stock in how the top .1% shoot or what they use (since they're not using what they want, but what they're paid to use), cuz is the same thing in most professional sports. Archery is all they do, so I would hope that they could pound an X repeatedly at 20 yards. So dealing with the pressure of doing it in a competition setting is basically the name of the game.

If the shootoffs become too prolonged, then those in charge have to change the conditions and make things tougher (i.e. increase distance, make the target smaller, handicap the top shooters by making them shoot skinnier arrows, decrease the shot clock).

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
It maybe like watching paint dry but stand on the line and give it a whirl
The mental aspect of archery is tremendous shooting at the pro level indoors or out door and trying to stuff the x ring inside out and not touch the line when it gets to that part of scoring is truly amazing to watch regardless of arrow size

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I enjoy shooting my compound bows, especially after having to give it up for over 20 years due to a car accident. And 20 yards is still exciting and a good discipline for me as I will never be in that "perfect score" club. But my point is that I enjoy watching archery as well and making it interesting is something the sport should cultivate. I love all target sports, participating as well as watching - archery, shooting, pool, darts, axe throwing - doesn't matter. But many of them are or have become boring spectator sports whereas they do not necessarily have to be. I gave up shooting American Trap because shooting 25 straight targets became mandatory to compete on an competitive level, with 100 straight being the norm for wins. What that accomplished was that competitors don't so much enjoy hitting the clay each round - it is expected - but they certainly get upset when one is missed. So that becomes the new norm of the competitive trap shooter - being upset most of the time without basking in the joy of hitting lots of targets, just not all of them. I fear it is the same for 20 yard pro shooters, but its only a guess on my part. For me the answer was International Trap, where the target is smaller, clays are harder and more difficult to break, the speed and distance are both increased over American Trap. Now you have a ballgame! Olympic gold medals were one with rounds of 23 out of 25. Perfect scores were a rarity, even among the very best shooters and almost never under extreme pressure. Now they have changed that and made it easier. Still much harder than American Trap but not the same as the 1980's game. I like the short distance game in Archery as well as the long distance game. I just think it needs a facelift at the higher levels.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,156 Posts
I can only speak for myself....

Shooting my compound just wasn't fun for me after decades. I picked up a stick bow and now the fun of archery is back....though it is much more challenging both in tourneys and hunting.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Well for myself, I enjoy watching and shooting spots at 20 yards. I was out of archery for almost 33 years. Just got back in last year. I managed to shoot 291 last year on a Vegas face. Age and a few small shakes makes it a little more challenging for me. It does not get boring for me at all. When I can shoot a 300 and it gets boring with a 27 shaft, I will go to a micro diameter shaft and try to shoot a 300 / 30 X's inside out. I know I have a long way to go on that journey. Then I am also shooting field, and the 900 rounds. Archery will not get boring to me for a long time.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
Is compound shooting becoming boring due to current skill levels and equipment?
Of course not. Since when is slapping shafts and vanes together at long range boring????

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
If it was, there would be way more 900 rounds shot at Vegas.

1500's would be the norm at Redding.

It all comes down to the shooter. You can have great equipment but if you cant execute a good shot it wont help.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
I can only speak for myself....

Shooting my compound just wasn't fun for me after decades. I picked up a stick bow and now the fun of archery is back....though it is much more challenging both in tourneys and hunting.
x2.
Hunting with a compound had become as easy as hunting with a firearm.

·
Registered
486 Posts
For me it's getting boring.
Not so much as its easier to nail bullseyes,which it is compared to 20 years ago,but more so the tuning.
Its almost getting to be the norm to see 10 bows of the same model sold,and half head back to the archery stores and forums like this to resolve issues.
I've worked QC a bunch in my life,and it seems the past 5 years there are waaaay more bows with issues than ever before.
Its a rush to put out the latest and greatest,and mass produce,and quality control is lacking.
It takes the fun out of really enjoying your new bow.
Look at it like this....you spend 1000 to 2000 on a new tv...are you going to be happy having to have it sent to a shop for repairs,or just to get it tweaked right?...of course not.
But we do with our compounds. Cam lean,timing off,cables crossed...quality control numbers are probably st low 90%,if that, for bows coming out of the factory. That's horrible actually.
That said...when all is performing and set up proper,archery with compounds is getting boring for me.
So I bought a recurve and have been shooting it as well. Will probably hunt a few times with it this year,as I'm comfy out to 25 yards.
Its brought back a feeling and anticipation I haven't had in 40 yrs.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

thats the ticket ,, fun stuff
and dont forget the TAC just for kicks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, approximately 24 shooters scored the perfect 900 in Vegas [including Paige in the women's division and Brady in recurves], and over 3800 entries, so that "easy boring" perfect score was accomplished by less than 0.64% of the competetors...

Think the WA "baby X" perfect 600 has been done less than 10 times ever in competition [last I heard it was six times, but that's been a while ago now], and I think Schloesser has three of those.

On the other hand, 43 nearly identical cars driving 500 miles in a circle, would rather watch any archery event.
But think of those other 3776 shooters - their chance at the big money and their weekend was over the first time they missed with 1 arrow outside the 10 ring, even by a few centimeters, for any little reason at all. That's pretty brutal.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Idk... Ask the average joe that shows up to my local 3d course that can’t average a 8 in 20 targets under 40yds at the hunter stake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts