Archery Talk Forum banner

Is draw weight proportional to age?

2452 73
Seems to me that the older I get the less I like rifle recoil and high poundage bows. Anyone else notice that?
Happy Thanksgiving
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
13,124 Posts
In 2010 at age 68 I bought myself a new, bargain, on sale Darton for hunting & peak weight of 60#s. I had been using 70#s the prior 10 years. I also started shooting tournaments again that same year with another Darton of 60#s. I soon replaced it with a newer Maverick Darton set on 45#s. I currently have 3 Dartons & each dedicated to one job. Hunter is 60#s & I have no problems pulling 70#s with ease. All outdoor targets get 45#s & indoor is 50#s.. I also have a Longbow of 50#s that I use for both with fingers.. I just turned 81. See anyone ya know Kballer?

Attachments

· Registered
13,124 Posts
Since I started in 1956 & have seen so much in the evolution of Bows "and" arrows. I assume the 50# compound of today will out perform any stick bow of the same weight & even more AND also any of those compounds of days gone by (mid 70s80s). The critters are pretty much the same but let's face it, our weapon is not.. I had a shop/lanes from 1964 thru 1982 & if memory serves me right, Hunting stick bows I sold were in the 55# range for adult males & when the compounds took over in the mid 70s with the whopping 20% let off (more like 15%) my sales for adult males were the adjustable 45#s to 60#s. (I did not stock over 60#s in the shop). MOST of those bows ended up on or around 55#s. I know mine was in that area & I arrowed a wide Varity of big game with that weight. I remember arrowing an Elk with a 53# Groves Spitfire recurve b/4 compounds & a Black Bear with the same bow... We all age differently & sometimes we get delt a hand that we have no control over that may figure into what "we can actually do". I have no problems shooting my hunting 60# Darton 75% let off but shooting my 45# 75% let off Darton is a breeze for targets. A 28 field is 112 arrows & a 900 is 90 arrows so a 3D is for sure east. Oh, I also shoot a 50# Longbow on a regular basis.. In fact, I shot the NFAA 5 day field Nationals with it in 2015, with fingers (I was only 74 then). That's 112 arrows 4 days & minimum 28 the last ( 476 total not counting any practice). I say, shoot what you can that makes it enjoya
Wood Font Rectangle Symbol Metal
ble & fun.. Check out this release a friend made. A big move up from the rope spikes & ledges in those early years (70s) He improved it as time went on & my brother & I actually shoot perfect 300s with them.. Tell me how tough it is today...

Attachments

Reactions: Mr. Ken
1 - 2 of 2 Posts