Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
80. Bear lights out was shooting consistently 200 fps with 410ish grain arrows. PSE brute NXT shooting same arrows right at 280. I'm not sure if something was up with the bear though. It was a really old string that maybe stretched? You can feel the difference in the draw cycle.

· Registered
979 Posts
80. Bear lights out was shooting consistently 200 fps with 410ish grain arrows. PSE brute NXT shooting same arrows right at 280. I'm not sure if something was up with the bear though. It was a really old string that maybe stretched? You can feel the difference in the draw cycle.
Something would have to be up with it I think. Those are 50# recurve speeds... I was getting 250fps+ at 54# with a 400 grain arrow using a 2010 Maxxis 35.

· Registered
10,201 Posts
I think Ted Nugent had it right a long time ago. When you shoot a lower weight you enjoy it more, and you practice more, and that results in being a better shot. A side benefit is it's easier on your shoulders, and more people get into and remain in the sport.

For 90% of the activities related to archery, from 3d competition to taking down a mountainside of animals hunting, you don't need more than 60#, and 50# gets it done pretty well for many game.

So if your form or practice suffers, I'd say lower the weight, and if it doesn't, enjoy what you prefer. It's an individual thing, and age doesn't have anything to do with it.
This is the right answer. I'm usually the one who posts the Uncle Ted Nugent video in the why-does-my-bow-keep-putting-me-in-the-hospital threads, but it all boils down to this explanation pretty much.

Even in hunting situations, most guys are way way overbowed as their primary problem. Most of the other problems they have follow from that one single setup error.

As for the effects of aging, that effect is certainly real. Us old guys, you name it, and we're full of problems and complaints. And our bows are no exception. Not just being overbowed, but creature comforts like lowered hand shock which used to just be an annoyance, become a real problem over time. And usually we start having to back off to something lighter and less hammer-ey on the bow arm if we want to keep shooting. Staying in shape helps, but it only puts off the inevitable :p

lee.

· Registered
Elite Envision
590 Posts
I think the most I've ever drawn was 67lbs. Now, I prefer my target bow to be middle 50's and my hunting bow around 60lbs. I can shoot both all day without fatigue.
But the bow I shoot most often is a 32lb recurve. It's like archery yoga.

· Registered
Hoyt CD34
1,770 Posts
Some of us have discovered that Heavy draw weight offers less advantage than does a heavier well tuned arrow. Think 500 to 650 grain total arrow weight. May also be something to this single bevel stuff.

· The Impartial Archer
24,831 Posts
Yes and my 5000 meter times aren't as good either.......and I can't bench press 300 pounds anymore............lol. It's part of the deal.......you can fight it but nature is always going to win in time.

And happy Thanksgiving to all and explore the real meaning of it......like Christmas it's been marginalized to make it less powerful.

· Premium Member
8,860 Posts
Seems to me that the older I get the less I like high poundage bows. Anyone else notice that?
Sure.

But you need to factor in that most of the shooters going from hair> to bald >to gray > to white, have been shooting bows that were outclassed lb for lb every 10 years or so. My 50lb bows shoot a 2219 faster than my 70's era elk cannon, a Jennings 4 wheeler. (Although the deer and elk have gotten so tough, you need 70lbs/700gr arrows, and broadheads that weigh 200gr with a single bevel).

BTW, old guys do not need all that, they have experience and patience. The ones still standing can shoot.

· Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm 62, shoot year round, and actually went up in weight this year as I can pull my new RX7U easier than my earlier bows.

I have a weightlifting background and it is probably helping me now. I live on a farm and work all the time, too so avoiding strain on my shoulders is not an option. Feed bags weigh the same as they did when I was in my teens.

My previous new bow is an RX3 and I cannot pull 70# with that bow for many shots without losing proper form, like 10-15, max. But this new one, 100 shots are no problem and it's over 70#.

RX7Us are not the fastest bow around but they have a very linear draw cycle and that is why I've kept my limb bolts tightened all the way down, because I can shoot it ok at this weight and it probably needs it.

I'd have no problem turning it down if need be, I think my HyperEdge target bow is in the 55-60 pound range and it's real easy to shoot for several hours.

So, yes, I think weight probably does as a rule go down with age. I still shoot my .41 and ,44 Magnums the way I always have though, recoil is recoil and one just accepts it and focuses on proper form every shot if you want to do it and get the right results..

· Registered
5,161 Posts
Strength declines as we age. What is nice is that the 60# bow today shoots faster than the 70# I was shooting 35 years ago. Also, carbon arrows have made a world of difference, I'm sure many will remember the aluminum arrows, back in the day, I shot Easton 2217. Todays carbon arrows are so much faster, lighter, more durable, penetrate better...I get complete pass through at 60# with carbon arrows on 90+% of all Whitetails.

· Registered
37 Posts
Colorado regulations,
Pg 14
paragraph 4
line c Minimum draw weight 35 lbs., no left off restriction.
No crossbows during the archery season.
I'll take what I can get as I get older as I'm already beat up.

· Registered
10,497 Posts
Didn't read through it all, but didn't see this mentioned in what I did read... If draw weight were proportional to age, or the way I read the question actually being whether draw weight is inversely proportional to age, as the crux seems to be that DW drops as age increases, then an eight year old JOAD/NASP archer would be shooting more weight than a 30y/o hunter...

· Lift, Run, Shoot
15,063 Posts
Age is a factor but relative to your own abilities and fitness level. At 53, almost 54, I’m in better shape than most 30 year olds. Used to powerlift, do martial arts etc. and I’m still in the gym 6 days a week (in fact in the gym as I type this). I’m still shooting 70# bows just like I did in my 20’s but honestly in my 20’s and 30’s I could have shot 100 pound bows - just never saw the point in going above 70#. I am certainly a lot weaker than I was in my early to mid 30’s (my peak) but can still comfortably handle 70# although draw cycle means a lot more to me these days. I won’t do aggressive cams and it would not surprise me if I started to back down the weight as I get closer to 60+.

· Registered
163 Posts
Seems to me that the older I get the less I like rifle recoil and high poundage bows. Anyone else notice that?
Happy Thanksgiving
64 y/o and I've done a lot of that "mellowing" in recent years. I still shoot 70# on my hunting bows w/o strain, but my target bow is at 60# (admittedly I've been very lucky with no damage to shoulders over my life). I quit shooting 3.5" turkey loads a few years ago, just decided I didn't like it and I didn't need to do it anymore. I still hunt frequently with my 30-06 (although its heavier because of a McMillan stock) but it's a LOT more relaxing to practice with my 6.5 Creedmore. I think as well accept not having to impress, we're more open to experiencing the path that lets us accomplish the same end result without as much noise or strain

· Registered
206 Posts
Seems to me that the older I get the less I like rifle recoil and high poundage bows. Anyone else notice that?
Happy Thanksgiving
How about another question: Is draw wt. proportional to WISDOM?
Todays bows are fast, efficient and accurate. Age may have something to do with it but "to me" a 60 lb. bow is a lot more stable and more fun to shoot than 70 lb.

Reactions: Mr. Ken
41 - 60 of 74 Posts