Archery Talk Forum banner

Is dressed weight a New England thing?

594 22
I notice that most people here list the antler inches, but few list the dressed weight of their archery kills... I've always been just as impressed by big bodied deer as big racked deer? Maybe it's a new england thing.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,097 Posts
I notice that most people here list the antler inches, but few list the dressed weight of their archery kills... I've always been just as impressed by big bodied deer as big racked deer? Maybe it's a new england thing.
Body weight is impressive .... but it is largely a geographic thing.

A 200lb dressed deer in Saskatchewan wouldnt really turn many heads ...... a 200lb dressed deer in Texas would though.

170" of antler is impressive no matter where it comes from.

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Body weight is impressive .... but it is largely a geographic thing.

A 200lb dressed deer in Saskatchewan wouldnt really turn many heads ...... a 200lb dressed deer in Texas would though.

170" of antler is impressive no matter where it comes from.
True.. I guess I like to see both measurments

· Registered
2,049 Posts
Yes I'd have to say in the US its a NE thing...the history behind it would be nice to hear...I'd have to guess it has to do with more woods and less corn fields, etc.

My hunting club scores on weight not antlers.

· Registered
14,406 Posts
New England thing. I know what you mean. I got into the Maine Big Buck Club in 2000 with a buck that dressed 234lbs. (over 200lbs makes the club)Big racks are nice, but there is something about those huge bodied northern big woods bucks. Actually, I was tracking a dandy that I figured was 200-210 northern MA last season, not far from you. I'll be back after him as soon as we get some snow on the ground.

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
New England thing. I know what you mean. I got into the Maine Big Buck Club in 2000 with a buck that dressed 234lbs. (over 200lbs makes the club)Big racks are nice, but there is something about those huge bodied northern big woods bucks. Actually, I was tracking a dandy that I figured was 200-210 northern MA last season, not far from you. I'll be back after him as soon as we get some snow on the ground.
NH same thing 200+ lbs gets into the states Big Buck listing

· Registered
310 Posts
My hunting crew in MN definately looks at body size and weight over antler:darkbeer:

· Registered
3,790 Posts
must be a new england thing. you never hear anyone from another part of the country say "he weighed 210 dressed". i do, and so does everyone i know. never heard anyone mention how their buck scored.

· Registered
3,388 Posts
Here in IL I hear it more out of the locals than the out-of-towners. When I was growing up we always refrenced how big they were this way. You'd hear something like 8 point 200 lbs field dressed. Maybe its a northern geographical thing...

· Registered
2,477 Posts
everyone around here says the number of points and the weight. never X many inches

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
Out in the West it's usually difficult to get an animal out whole, so cutting them up or deboning them is how we do it. In 28 years of hunting, I have NEVER weighed an animal that I shot. The only thing we use dressed weight for is cattle.

· Registered
5,442 Posts
Heck, I won a contest last year that involved total weight of one buck and one doe. I shot a 120" or so 8 point that field dressed 235lbs, and my doe was around 125lbs. The racks had nothing to do with the scoring.

· Registered
2,999 Posts
jersey has the 200# thing too, for does as well i belive, been awhile since i lived there. northeastern thing for sure. my guess would be back in the pilgram and settler days on the east coast. you sold or traded deer by the pound. hunters would bring in kills to earn cash for the skins and meat. we had metal so antlers weren't prized like they are today. skins and meat kept people alive and clothed.

· Registered
1,806 Posts
where i hunt in wisconsin a good buck is genarally judged on his spread, points and body weight. that being said i go by body weight and inches of bone. a big buck on our farm will go 260+ field dressed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.