Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if any of you have had problems with the Dusk Devil fiber optic sight. I have one that is giving me all kinds of troubles.

The sight has an Allen screw on the top near the third access point. This is the screw that you loosen up and tighten up to move the sight windage. I have never had any archery product that takes as much FORCE as this screw to hold the windage still.

I am not talking about hand tight or a bit more then hand tight, I am talking knuckles turning white tightening the screw. If I do not use this much force to hold tighten the windage down then the sight moves all over the place every time I shoot. This is the ONLY way to hold it down. I have put so much stress on it that I have BUST 2 screws in half now! Each time I had to drive 4.5 hours to Denver where I bought the sight and have them replace the screw. NOW I am on my 3rd screw, and the 3rd screw is stripped out.

I have lost faith and trust in my sight at this point. I called Dusk Devil / Black Gold and complained. They are going to send me a new clamp and screw, but I am wondering if this is just a flaw in design now?

Have any of you had problems with this sight?

Tim

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Tim,
I've sold a bunch of them this year so far, and I've encountered this a few times. The problem is that the screw is too long, and you really have to give it all you have to tighten it. I've had one that wont tighten down. To fix this, take a file and file the screw down about 1/8". DO NOT use a Dremel or grinder to do this, it will weaken the screw. Let me know how this works for you.

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sigh,... that is a bummer...

I will try it when the new parts get here. So it is just too long eh?

I thougth it was that split bar. I figured it just wasn't squeezing the windage bar.

Tim

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anybody else seen this happen to?

I don't like spending near $80 and having to FILE DOWN screws that should be the right lenght already :(

DO you think the new part they send will work or is it going to be the same?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I put a dusk devil on the boys bow. He hasn't seen it yet but I hope he does'nt like it because I sure do. I would have to say it needs a little attention as to the design. Too many screws and whats up with that pivot on it? All the screws are tight but, it took some doing. I might suggest that when you get it set up you put a few acc. limb savers on it.
AZHUNTER

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well,

I called DuskDevil and let them have it. They guy was quite on the other end and let me take out my fustrations with him. Promps to the phone guy.

The replacement parts came today. GUESS WHAT, this screw looks to be SMALLER then the one I was using LOL.

AND, when I tighten it, the screw no longer needs an act of god to hold. I have YET to shoot any flights but it feels SOO MUCH better then befor. I am now thinking that Bustin 12's was right and Dusk Devil figured it out.

If the sight works as good as any of my older sights I will be happy.

Figured I would share the good with the bad.

Tim

·
Registered
897 Posts
Let us know if it work's out for you.
Can you post a picture of the sight at the same angle the archer see's it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts