Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Is camo pants a must in spot and stalk out west for say sand hill muley or antelope or Colorado elk and muley. I’m sure a camo top is appropriate but to me a earth color pants out there make sense

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
I have a ton of Sitka, First Lite, and Kuiu mid and outer layers. Enough to admit that I have a major problem. They all make great gear, some more suited than others for different uses/seasons. As far as quality goes, all top notch in my opinion and not one outshines the other.

After trying base layers from all companies, I settled on First Lite. They have a tremendous variety and have found their stuff to be very durable.
same here... own lots of all 3, they all have their great products, and underwhelming products.... they are all 3 good enough I would be missing out being brand loyal. I like first lite a lot, and if I had to pick one, it would be them. if I was a stand hunter I would pick sitka… kuiu raingear is the best there is...

·
can I shoot it?
17,049 Posts
I know it’s a dumb reason for some but I do not like the way Sitka looks lol
Do a search on some of my Sitka and FL posts, especially concerning the pattern. I believe you are spot on and have posted up several times on why.

·
Registered
485 Posts
After getting burned on FL sizing I'm done with them. I really don't care what materials they use and how comfy they are. If I don't know if I'm small medium or large in a particular item it's not worth the trouble.
I've never sent a Sitka or Kuiu item back and I wish I could say the same for FL.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
First Light is quality but Stika and Kuiu also make good items. I mix and match on what I think are the best. Hands down Kuiu pants are my favorite but FL shirts are my number one. Don’t get stuck on one company, you’ll be missing out.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I really like my FL Sanctuary set; however, I kinda wish they had a lesser athletic fit in the mid-section of the bibs. Or, I could do a few sit-ups, nah...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
BIRD HUNTER
11,193 Posts
I love the first lite fusion pattern.That being said all my gear is sitka , Just seems the wind blocker is needed for tree stand hunting. so i guess it depends on what you plan on using it for.

·
Registered
234 Posts
First Lite is very good. I have worn it for 5 years. Some of their merino wool light shirts and underwear last two to three seasons for me but I wear em hard and put a lot of miles on them in rough country. Not sure light merino will ever last more than a couple years with heavy use but the they are awesome!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have been looking at the new Solitude set. I do not see it advertised as a feature, so I imagine it has zero wind-blocking capability. If so, that is a bit of a deal breaker for me. The GORE windstopper in my Sitka Stratus set is what makes it so versatile.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My first lite equipment has held up very well. Not as expensive as Sitka either. I wanted to speak to the durability issue. I often read posts with people complaining about the durability of merino wool. Merino wool is not supposed to be durable, it is supposed to be soft and wick sweat away. If you are going to be taking merino wool items through heavy brush it should tear if it is quality merino.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
First lite base layers are great but their outerwear doesn't seem like it would be as durable as sitka. Now this is just from feeling the first lite peices, I haven't actually worn them in the field. Sitka outer/mid layers have proven awesome and very durable.

·
Vendor
324 Posts
I really like First Lite clothing I own about every item they offered. I really hated to see them drop the ASAT pattern. Not that there are not as effective patterns, I am just a bit superstitious.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got the new solitude set last week. While I dont think there is a specific wind stopper layer like sitka has, the solitude bibs and coat are quite a bit warmer/heavier duty than I imagined them to be. It's very comparable to the Woodbury jacket. I'm looking forward to using it and staying warm this season in Mid Michigan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Solid color hunting pants seem to be pretty popular these days, but you do NOT need to pay top dollar for them. Walmart sells these Wrangler Men's Outdoor Comfort Flex Cargo Pants for $21.92 a pair. Two or three of their solid colors could easily be used for hunting and they do make them in camo, as well. They are some of the most comfortable pants I have ever worn.

Wrangler Men's Outdoor Comfort Flex Cargo Pant.jpeg Wrangler Men's Outdoor Comfort Flex Cargo Pant Camo.jpg

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thank you all for your input. I have a friend who owns nothing but Sitka gear and he is going to let me go through it and try some on to see if I like it or how it fits. I know the layers are important but to me the most important is stopping the wind too

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Solid color hunting pants seem to be pretty popular these days, but you do NOT need to pay top dollar for them. Walmart sells these Wrangler Men's Outdoor Comfort Flex Cargo Pants for $21.92 a pair. Two or three of their solid colors could easily be used for hunting and they do make them in camo, as well. They are some of the most comfortable pants I have ever worn.

View attachment 6907985 View attachment 6907989
These things are amazing. I've been wearing them for anything I do outside. They'll also be what I wear on my next western hunt. They are more comfortable then the prana Zions and a third the price. I probably wouldn't wear them in a treestand but great for the ground or out west

·
Registered
395 Posts
The timing of this thread is spot on! I am considering looking in to FL. I primarily stand hunt in the N. Midwest. I'm looking for something w/ not a lot of bulk but can hold up to 0 degree temps. I also need dead quiet materials, especially when cold. Nothing worse than having a jacket that sounds quiet in the store but sounds like crumpling up tin foil when it gets below freezing. Is FL pretty quiet? I'm looking at the Solitude and Sanctuary line.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The first lite stuff is silent. Here's a recommendation: Get the sanctuary bibs and solitude jacket (I have the Woodbury). I also have the Cirrus (not sure if they still make it) which layers under the Woodbury and makes it equivalent in insulation to the Sanctuary jacket. I also have a down puffy vest I have worn under the Woodbury during gun season. Even if you hunt late season, I think it's MUCH more versatile to get Sanctuary Bibs and Solitude jacket, PLUS a puffy jacket/vest. That way you are more versatile but can stay plenty warm as late as you want. You can start wearing the Woodbury earlier and then add the puffy under it when it gets really cold.

21 - 40 of 110 Posts