Archery Talk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
wolfey
4,145 Posts
Solid color hunting pants seem to be pretty popular these days, but you do NOT need to pay top dollar for them. Walmart sells these Wrangler Men's Outdoor Comfort Flex Cargo Pants for $21.92 a pair. Two or three of their solid colors could easily be used for hunting and they do make them in camo, as well. They are some of the most comfortable pants I have ever worn.

View attachment 6907985 View attachment 6907989
Are these pants quiet?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
These things are amazing. I've been wearing them for anything I do outside. They'll also be what I wear on my next western hunt. They are more comfortable then the prana Zions and a third the price. I probably wouldn't wear them in a treestand but great for the ground or out west
Yes. Agreed...

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Are these pants quiet?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Yes. Very lightweight and comfortable. I buy them big so they will fit over base layers, if needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The first lite stuff is silent. Here's a recommendation: Get the sanctuary bibs and solitude jacket (I have the Woodbury). I also have the Cirrus (not sure if they still make it) which layers under the Woodbury and makes it equivalent in insulation to the Sanctuary jacket. I also have a down puffy vest I have worn under the Woodbury during gun season. Even if you hunt late season, I think it's MUCH more versatile to get Sanctuary Bibs and Solitude jacket, PLUS a puffy jacket/vest. That way you are more versatile but can stay plenty warm as late as you want. You can start wearing the Woodbury earlier and then add the puffy under it when it gets really cold.
That's what I initially planned on doing, since I have the Woodbury jacket.
But the sanctuary bibs are in my opinion strictly a late season bib.
The solitude is considerably lighter which helps for late Oct, into November and it offers enough room to layer up and get ya through late season.
Definitely more versatile in my observation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,172 Posts

·
Hunter of many things
12,155 Posts
FL has the best clothing, but I buy Sitka accesories. Hats, gloves, bino harness, stuff like that, much better selection.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would prefer my base or mid to be a neutral colors browns grey and greens I really don’t mind outer pants the same just maybe overthinking the camo
All my FL base and mid layers are black which I like because I can wear them during winter and whatnot and if it’s visible it doesn’t look like a rag tag camo set. I really like everything I own

·
Registered
555 Posts
After getting burned on FL sizing I'm done with them. I really don't care what materials they use and how comfy they are. If I don't know if I'm small medium or large in a particular item it's not worth the trouble.
I've never sent a Sitka or Kuiu item back and I wish I could say the same for FL.
Exact opposite here. Sitka is all over the board for me and typically much smaller than anticipated. FL is almost always bang on

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't argue with that. If I could go back I'd maybe do it that way. At the time the SOlitude bibs didn't exist and I've worn the Sanctuary bibs with boxers under it in like, I don't know, 30's (maybe?) weather and been fine.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Solid color hunting pants seem to be pretty popular these days, but you do NOT need to pay top dollar for them. Walmart sells these Wrangler Men's Outdoor Comfort Flex Cargo Pants for $21.92 a pair. Two or three of their solid colors could easily be used for hunting and they do make them in camo, as well. They are some of the most comfortable pants I have ever worn.

View attachment 6907985 View attachment 6907989
I’ve got to say thanks for this. These are exactly what I’ve been looking for to hunt the hot, humid early season down here. Just went and picked up the only two pair they had in my size. These things are awesome for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
925 Posts
I agree with poster above. The Sanctuary bibs are downright hot. Do not put on and go for a walk of more than 30 feet. You will have a serious case of swamp***.

I’ve only worn them twice in two years. Once when it was 20, too hot for me. The second it was 2 degrees and I was comfy as a bug in a rug... as some say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I love the first lite fusion pattern.That being said all my gear is sitka , Just seems the wind blocker is needed for tree stand hunting. so i guess it depends on what you plan on using it for.
I don’t own Sitka but I do agree with what this guy said. I owned several pieces of First Lite but I just couldn’t keep it. You really need that wind blocker from November through January here in Illinois and the first Lite just doesn’t have it.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I don’t own Sitka but I do agree with what this guy said. I owned several pieces of First Lite but I just couldn’t keep it. You really need that wind blocker from November through January here in Illinois and the first Lite just doesn’t have it.
Fanatic hoody, vest and jacket are my favorite 3 peices of gear. From the beginning of season till the end I'm wearing at least one of those peices.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I find wind protection to be of utmost importance. It seems despite the color Sitka may be more need specific. My buddy brought me a Sitka catalog today and I do like the subalpine color

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
No experience with other "alpha" brands but FL has performed well for me the past few years. A few of their pieces do have sketchy sizing...I downsized on the woodburry jacket and upsized on the sanctuary bibs (tight in the midsection).

I have been looking at the new Solitude set. I do not see it advertised as a feature, so I imagine it has zero wind-blocking capability. If so, that is a bit of a deal breaker for me. The GORE windstopper in my Sitka Stratus set is what makes it so versatile.
I just purchased the Solitude set. No time in the woods with it yet but my nonscientific test of blowing thru the material found it is definitely wind resistant. The best feature is that it's dead quiet. I can see myself adding a windproof vest under it if needed. I predict this set being my go-to piece during mid to late season.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have been looking at the new Solitude set. I do not see it advertised as a feature, so I imagine it has zero wind-blocking capability. If so, that is a bit of a deal breaker for me. The GORE windstopper in my Sitka Stratus set is what makes it so versatile.
Here is an unscientific test I did for the wind resistance of the Solitude coat. Im holding a piece of lint from the lint trap in my basement.

https://youtu.be/Hacp864qT3U

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love FL, but their sizing isnt normal. atleast not in my experience. make sure your able to try on somewhere to know what you need! if you just guess and order online, youll be disappointed and returning most likely

41 - 60 of 110 Posts