Archery Talk Forum banner

is hevishot really better

2027 Views 50 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  StrutNut
Guys i know this isn't archery related, but is hevishot for turkeys really worth it?
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,918 Posts
Not just yes but HELL yes... The testing I have done with chokes and different loads of lead.hevi shot, tungsten,there is no comparison.It shoots tighter,longer yardage,and deff more energy on target. I went to toteing a 20ga 4 years ago due to no need for 12s anymore with the hevi 13!!!! #6s have taken birds out to 59 steps with the 20!!

· Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, then ill give them a go, i smoked a bird last year at 22 yards, full choke, with no 5 lead, 3 1/2's, 2 1/4 oz but it didn't pattern all that well honestly aat 40. i'm afraid that by using cheap ammo, i could blow it. im taking a week off work, 5 days to hunt, public land, early mornings, gonna put 600 miles on my truck, i might as well spend 15 bucks more and have a better kill chance.

· TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,918 Posts
ok, then ill give them a go, i smoked a bird last year at 22 yards, full choke, with no 5 lead, 3 1/2's, 2 1/4 oz but it didn't pattern all that well honestly aat 40. i'm afraid that by using cheap ammo, i could blow it. im taking a week off work, 5 days to hunt, public land, early mornings, gonna put 600 miles on my truck, i might as well spend 15 bucks more and have a better kill chance.
I will say this at 22 yards better be dead on.I have missed a fw birds since going to heavy shot because of being so close.I missed one at 6 steps 2 years ago.LOL!! My son missed 1 at 11 steps last year that we wound up killiig 2 weeks later.I shot a Rem.870 pump 20 mag. with the 1 1/8 oz Hevi-13 #6s,useing a Kicks Gobblin Thunder 660. constriction..It loves those shells...Def. put you a front and back sight on to help keep head down on gun!!! And 30 yards is better then 10 with that stuff!! Good luck and hope ya whack a few..

· Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just havea bead, but i will pattern it with a modified, i only need to shoot 40 to 45 yards.

· Always Scouting
3,428 Posts
I used shoot the 3" Winchester Stuff out of my Benelli and I would say with a extra full choke it increased my kill range from 40 yards with the old stuff to 70 yards with the new stuff. I now only use my bow but my Dad now uses that setup and loves it. It knocks them dead too, no flopping, kicking etc. Well worth the $3.50-4.00 a shell. Besides how many shots do you really uses in a turkey season anyway? A box should last most a couple seasons even with patterning.

Matt

· Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very true, i would need to pattern it, with different chokes to make the best choice, but then it should only take one shell.

· Registered
765 Posts
If you watch you can catch hevi-shot with a mail in rebate. I bought 2 boxes last year for $15.99 each, and they had a mail in rebate for 10.00 off of each box. Had to wait 2 months for them to send the rebate back, but after i got it back, i had 5.99$ in each box. I'd say they'll do it this year too.

· Registered
3,159 Posts
Not just yes but HELL yes... The testing I have done with chokes and different loads of lead.hevi shot, tungsten,there is no comparison.It shoots tighter,longer yardage,and deff more energy on target. I went to toteing a 20ga 4 years ago due to no need for 12s anymore with the hevi 13!!!! #6s have taken birds out to 59 steps with the 20!!
I have help patten a bunch of shotguns, from 2 3/4 inch to 3 1/2 and different loads and nothing has come even close to hevi-shot. It is 100% what it says it is. We will spend 10 to 15 dollars for a BH for maybe one shot. $2.50 for a shotgun shell doesn't sound all that bad. Mel

· TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,918 Posts
depends if your gun and choke likes the load or not! if they all work together and get along than HELL YES! every gun likes different ammo! just like we like different foods.
You are exactly right <<< BUT I will have to say that Hevi-13 has been by far better in a broad # of different choke tubes. From what I have seen, it depends more on finding right constrictin then gun it self.I have noticed that longer barrel guns like a little less constrictionand short barrel guns seem to do better with a tighter choke. You deff. need to play around with chokes and shot size till your happy!!

· XX78 User
5,019 Posts
The patterns with Hevi Shot are tight enough I put a scope on my shotgun :) Hevi 13 is awesome stuff.

· TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,918 Posts
My 20ga with 1 1/8th oz of #6 HV-13 will averages 44 pellets in the head and neck at 40yrds legitmately...I had to put bead sight on it due to the exstreme tight patterns. I also started putting my b-mobile decoy no closer then 25-30 yrds when hunting with a gun due to this... B-mobile decoy
is way more deadly then any shot shell you can buy..

· Registered
2,637 Posts
I'm sure the stuff is great.... but the entire purpose is to call them in.. so shoot lead at them and save a lot of $$$$ by calling them in closer..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.