• NO

Votes: 100 92.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is another wonderful "ethics" poll. What do you all think?

Is it OK to Trespass onto lands you clearly did not ask for nor have permission to cross through, hunt on, etc?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The old adage "Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" will get you some acute lead poisoning on my land. 1200 acres is tough to police, chase people off all the time. One guy a couple years ago actually tried to tell me HE was the land owner and that I was trespassing. Now that takes ball$.

BTW...whos the idiot who voted yes? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
The only time you can go onto posted land is when you shoot an animal and it runs onto psted land. Then you have leagal permission to enter the land and retreive your animal and GET OUT. Otherwise get the HE!! off!!

LeEarl

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Not quite

LeEarl-

Might want to check the rule book on that. I think in MI you must be accompanied by the landowner or game warden if the landowner cannot be determined for situations like that. Landowners can be ticketed for neglegant waste of game if they don't give you permission.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
10-4 DL...should have known:rolleyes:

·
Registered
306 Posts
If it's considered trespassing, I would say no.....it's not acceptable. Here in good old NH, you can hunt any land that is not posted. For the most part, only commercially owned property and the apple orchards are posted. However, you do need to ask permission if you intend to use a tree stand or tree climbing equipment that will damage a tree.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Thanks God I dont live in NH...you mean anyone can hunt anyone's land? Whats the point of owning land? Spose everyone just posts their land?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes WK, anyone can hunt anywhere that is not posted. Why, do you need to go door-to-door? Hunters and landowners have a mutual respect for one another here, and there is nothing wrong with that. You must be thinking from an Iowa landowners point of view.........in that case, thank God you don't live here!

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's the attitude of "if it's not posted; then it must be ok to hunt it" that will make more landowners post their land. State laws ARE different. Here in Maine; the landowner owns the land but not the game. If an animal goes onto posted property you must ask permission to retrieve it. If the landowner refuses to let you get your deer, the warden service will assist you to recover your game. I have never been refused to hunt land when I ask the owner. Many were suprised that I asked. This is a no-brainer. Trespassers just plain degrade the sport.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I believe what LeEarl was referring to was that in Minnesota you may enter onto posted land to retrieve wounded game without permission. You may not carry your bow or gun with you to get it though. Also you must leave the land immediately if asked to do so by the land owner. I still think that it is best to get permission. Although I am sure there are some out there, I have not met a landowner yet who won't give permission to retrieve an animal.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here in NJ you MUST acquire permission before entering land (posted or not) to do anything, including retreiving game.

Technically, if an animal dies on another landowner's property, the deer belongs to him. They can refuse you entry if they want to. My buddy shot a nice 140ish buck last year and it ran onto the property adjacent to his own. He did the right thing, asked the guy for permission and got denied.

All night he pined over the refusal, and went back in the morning...finding the deer's gut pile 70 yards across the property line border. Apparently the landowner wanted it for himself...

IMO it really takes a scumbag landowner to do that. This is probably the only exception I would make to trespassing. I would ask the landowner first and if he lowballed me regarding following up on the shot, even though I showed him due respect by asking first...I'd go anyway. There is no way I'm letting a deer go to waste!

Nevertheless, I know quite a few guys here in NJ that hunt where they want, when they want...posted or not...permission or not. They feel "its ok" and a good way to hunt since "no one else is on there".

Well, I'd rather not hunt looking over my shoulder the whole way...so I stick to public lands...as frustrating as they are to hunt at times.

My family owns property in PA, and I hunted it ONCE. Opening day of bow season two years ago, we had over 30 cars come up onto our property...which WAS POSTED. We posted the land over the summer and the first time we did...the signs were RIPPED DOWN by the next day. Very frustrating as a landowner, and the reason I made this poll was because those guys up there feel it is their RIGHT to hunt OUR land because they have been trespassing for years. Wanted to see how you all felt as well...maybe I was thinking incorrectly somehow...

Tough situation to deal with...so I feel for you landowners that get abused by trespassers.

·
I'd rather be hunting!
1,894 Posts
Our problem in Georga is that the fine is usually less than it cost to join a hunting club! A lot of people take their chances. I shoot 'em when I find them. Drop 'em in the well and don't have to worry about them trespassing anymore!

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Using something that another man/woman paid for? Heck ya, go ahead.

Why don`t you take his car for a spin while you`re at it!

If you don`t own it, or don`t have permission....stay the heck out.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
No it's not. Unless you have permission to be on the land. Even if you have shot an animal and the only way to recover it is to trespass, ask before you enter.

·
Registered
197 Posts
in ky, you cannot be ticketed for trespass if the land is not posted, but you can be ticketed for hunting without landowner permission. this makes no sence. most land around here is leased so it is posted.

i like the idea they have in nh, but most folks around here would take advantage of property owners. 20 years ago in my local area you could hunt just about anywhere you asked the landowner. now you may get chased off and mean mouthed by the landowners.

now for my opinion. no it is never okay to trespass, for any reason. if i shoot an animal that goes onto adjoining property, i have that covered prior to seasons start. i always call the neighbors and tell them who i am, and where i am hunting, and always they say go ahead and get your deer. i have never been told to stay out, but i always contact them and let them know of my intentions.

·
Registered
306 Posts
New Hampshire's hunting laws work for both parties. We're allowed to hunt on un-posted property and at the same time we remember that it is also a privilege, they get respect they deserve and don't pay diddlie squat for property tax. I don't think landowners have every even tried to turn the laws around. I guess things are just different. We only harvest 10,000 deer a year, so there isn't as many hunters per square mile. So tell me this, is trespassing considered hunting without permission, or walking onto posted property?

PS.
Don't tell me you're glad you don't live here, come on up and see how hunting should be done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't even think it's ethical to retrieve a downed animal from another person's property without first asking them, so you can probably guess what I think about hunting without the landowner's permission. In my neighborhood, myself and a few neighbors (both hunters and non-hunters) have a long-standing agreement that if one of us shoots an animal and it runs onto the other's property, then we can go get it without having to ask. However, we usually do call and ask if anyone is hunting before we go get the deer, just to avoid messing up someone else's hunting.

If I'm hunting somewhere else and an hit animal runs onto someone else's property, I will not even think about retrieving it until the landowner says it's okay.

I don't know about other places, but in my area of KY, hunting on someone else's land without permission is a good way to get lead slung in your direction; and depending on the individual, they might shoot at you instead of just in your general direction.

·
Registered
441 Posts
*wk* said:
The old adage "Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" will get you some acute lead poisoning on my land. 1200 acres is tough to police, chase people off all the time. One guy a couple years ago actually tried to tell me HE was the land owner and that I was trespassing. Now that takes ball$.
Had the same thing happen to me!!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts