Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it bad to have a 60-70lb bow at around 63lbs? I have a 60-70lb Z7 on order now, but usually shoot about 63lbs. I know the bows top performence is when its close to its top weight.. any thoughts? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Is it bad to have a 60-70lb bow at around 63lbs? I have a 60-70lb Z7 on order now, but usually shoot about 63lbs. I know the bows top performence is when its close to its top weight.. any thoughts? Thanks guys!
No! you will be fine, you will loose some speed but not accuracy, new bows stay in tune better then the old ones did because of pivoting limb pockets i shoot my 60# commander at 54 ish pounds and it still hits where i want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Do you think it would make more sense if I went with the 50-60 if im planning of shooting 63/64lbs, and just max it out? Sorry for the dumb questions guys, just want to make sure I get whats best!

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Thanks guys. Do you think it would make more sense if I went with the 50-60 if im planning of shooting 63/64lbs, and just max it out? Sorry for the dumb questions guys, just want to make sure I get whats best!
yes , just max out a 60 # bow and call it good. 3# you wont notice a speed difference.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
mathews also offers the 65lb limbs which typically max out right at 65, maybe 66, where as the 70's are reportedly running high up to 75

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
theres no reason to buy a new bow or limbs it will work and last a long long time,, almost every bow ive have owned was a 70 and set at 63 because that was my comfort zone, currently im even shooting a katera 70# at 58, and a alienx 70 at 57, and a 60# cheetah at 53,, theres no reason to max it out they shoot perfctly well at lower weight

·
Registered
220 Posts
I also shoot 70# bow at about 64, I think thye are a little noisier when shot below max. I'm also thinking about a Z7, will definitely get a 60#er, thye usually come in at 62#'s and plenty fast.

·
Registered
637 Posts
On older bows yes the draw length will increase when you let off the limb bolts!
On the new Parallel limbed bows not so much!
I like the older bows, I dont mess with backing off the limbs, I simply adjust the preload to get what I want, not to excede the original maximum of the limbs tho!
I can do this because I dont have to worry about warrenty repair since they are so old!
I shoot an older Hoyt (1997) Enticer, and older Hoyt (1994) Superstar and last but certainly not least I have a customized (shortened limbs) Hoyt (1996) Smoke!
All shoot well, all fine tuened to fit me and me alone!

BD

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If you are going to shoot it at 63 pounds you should definitely get the 50 to 60 pounder. It will come in at 62 to 64 max poundage which would be perfect for what you are wanting. You are always better off to have your bow maxed out if you can. And especialy on a bow with a very suspect limb pocket design like Mathews. Get the 60 and you will not be dissapointed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts