Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Lancaster last Saturday to look at sights and scopes. I wanted to upgrade from my hunting sight to a target site. Currently I am shooting indoor spots.

The Classic scope grabbed my attention. This is a "3D" scope that apparently is larger than the smaller "target" scope. Why is smaller considered better for target? I have been told that the smaller diameter of the target scope helps you hold better. I thought that holdng is a function of balance and control and not field of vision.

Please help me understand. At the momnet I am confused. I am planning on purchasing the 9 inch True Ball Axcel 3000 sight with the classic 3D scope housing. The lense will be center drilled with fiber optics. For outdoor work I would use the sun shad attachment. Not the visor but the extension like the wrap on the Hogg-It.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Aim small, miss small is what I have been told.

Personally, I like a wider field of view.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the wider field of view I am less likley to hit the target in the next lane. Just want to know what the good people of Archery Talk have to say.

Thanks for the reply.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Actually the reason most target archers prefer a smaller diameter scope is because they are also using a smaller diameter peep sight. Idea is to center up the scope housing in the peep sight as an additional reference point when executing the shot. In part also dependent on how far you extend the sight, for example if you really push your extension out, then some of the smaller scope housings actually get to be too small (see too much around the outside of the housing).

A little different than what a 3D shooter is usually looking for. For 3D typically the larger field of view is desired, especially if shooting any heavy magnification, so you can see more of the critter to reference off of for aiming points. Don't need the larger field of view when shooting spots though because you already know the center of the small circle is where you want your arrow to land...so don't really need anything showing a field of view much bigger than the bullseye.

In the end though it all comes down to what you are used to and comfortable shooting. :)

>>------->

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you shoot outdoor target at long distances a larger scope can get in the way of the arrow. Depending on your poundage, sight extension length and arrow weight you might find your vanes hitting the underside of your scope. In this situation a smaller target scope might be the difference between being able to reach 90m and not.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
As already said smaller peeps are considered more consistant, but I prefer bigger scopes and peeps it just helps me mentally.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the great information.:darkbeer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts