Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dick move or not?

My buddy never shot a bow before and me, being the dumbass that I am, let him try on my bow. The archery gods took note of this stupid transaction and my buddy dried fired it. He also has no upper body strength which doesn't help either. Thankfully the cams are safe and undamaged though. I'm traveling the country so I'm not at my local pro shop. I called a couple local archery shops in the area I'm staying and they all told me the turnaround time would be about 3 weeks, which is understandable with it being the middle of hunting season and shipping times.

I decided to buy a string and cable set from 60x and they come in in a couple days. Is it a dick move to show up to an archery shop with a string and cable set you didn't buy from them and ask them to install it?

Let me know your thoughts

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Dick move or not?

My buddy never shot a bow before and me, being the dumbass that I am, let him try on my bow. The archery gods took note of this stupid transaction and my buddy dried fired it. He also has no upper body strength which doesn't help either. Thankfully the cams are safe and undamaged though. I'm traveling the country so I'm not at my local pro shop. I called a couple local archery shops in the area I'm staying and they all told me the turnaround time would be about 3 weeks, which is understandable with it being the middle of hunting season and shipping times.

I decided to buy a string and cable set from 60x and they come in in a couple days. Is it a dick move to show up to an archery shop with a string and cable set you didn't buy from them and ask them to install it?

I install customer supplied strings 3-4x a week. I know some shops frown on it because they loose the markup on the strings but some folks have their favorite string builders (I know I do) and it would be pretty much impossible to be a dealer for every single string builder....

I encourage folks to buy strings through me but... if a customer shows up with strings and is willing to pay me to install them, I install them without a second thought.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
I called a couple local archery shops in the area I'm staying and they all told me the turnaround time would be about 3 weeks, ...

I decided to buy a string and cable set from 60x and they come in in a couple days.
I would just walk in, and start off by explaining, "Not sure if you remember me calling a few days ago about my situation, and you explaining that it could take a few weeks to get a set of strings. I was fortunate enough to be able to find a set on my own a bit quicker and was hoping that you could still install them for me."

That way they know you tried to give them the business first, and weren't shortcutting them from the start. There shouldn't be any heartburn on their end.

·
Registered
Bowtech Revolt X, Mathews V3 31, Bear BR33
608 Posts
If your paying them to put them on then I don't really see what the issue would be... To make sure you could call them ahead of dropping in with them to check first... I'd just call them and say something like this... "I have a bow that needs some strings replaced and I have some strings to put on there. What would you charge me to do that?.. Do I need an appointment?.. etc..."

I can't imagine a shop turning you away.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I always buy the string set I want for my current bow at the time and then take it to a shop to be put on. I've done this for years and used 3 different shops in that time, none have ever had an issue with it or made any kind of negative comment.

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
Not as long as the strings and cables are correct lengths. I used to charge a little extra just for just the extra time to tune and adjust.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Dick move or not?

Not at all a dick move. The dick would be a pro shop complaining to you about bringing in your bow to pay them to install new strings & tune your bow.

·
Registered
PSE EVO NXT / Bowtech Revolt X80
560 Posts
Your a customer regardless. They should be happy you got some threads that quickly to get you back in the woods or on the range despite not being able to get you the strings and cables themselves. Buying an ez press is well worth the investment for reasons like this. It will pay for itself in time

·
Registered
829 Posts
The only thing we tell folks when they bring us their own sets is that, if we're not a dealer of the string set, we can't guarantee the workmanship, QC, or durability of the strings should an accident happen. If they blow out after a week of use, that's between you and the builder as we didn't supply them for you. Otherwise, we're happy to install whatever a customer brings. It's their bow: let them bring their strings.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I wouldnt think so. They are going to charge you for the work either way. Any shop worth their salt will want your business with the hope of you returning when a new bow or accessories are needed. Truth be told I would think tuning and string replacement is their bread and butter.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Before I purchased an EZ press I had bought some 60x strings and took it to the shop near me and was given a tong lashing. I told the guy I didn’t expect it to be done for free and would pay for the work being done. The guy told me the strings were trash and so on. They charged me $120.00 for the work(no tune done. Didn’t want it in any case) He complained about me asking him to put a twist on the string to lineup my peep. Dealing with him and getting subpar work done is what finally convinced me to buy my own press. Bad service pushes future business away for sure. I haven’t purchased a bow from them in years now.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.