Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys
Took delivery of my bowtech patriot and looking at the strings I have four metal nocks on it about four and a half inches from the end by the cams, on looking at the bowteck manual it says that these must be on the string or performance will be impaired take it that these are speed balls
My question is how do speed balls work what do they do, and how come it is ok to have four metal nocks, two at each end but we are told and it is true that two metal nocking points slow the string down

Any one no?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm sure someone will give you a more detailed answer. But basically, when nocks are located at the end(s) of the string, there mass creates string momentum. When the nocks are located toward the center of the string, there mass creates drag and slows the string's speed.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Nocks, Speed balls, or Eliminator buttings at the ends of the string will eliminate some string ocilation causing an increase in speed and a slight decrease in noise. You should play with this infront of a chronograph to find the optimum location. Single cams only need them at the bottom dual cams will require them at both ends. Wheel bows don't bother it does not work with round wheels. I first learned of this back in the 80's. Saw some guys while shooting at a IBO 3-D shoot were doing it and it caught on. It does work. You can pic up between 4 - 11 fps. depending on your cam/cams.

·
Registered
745 Posts
speed bumps

i was told by Frank Pearson years ago that the speed bumps help keep your string on the cams or cam more. This will in return will produce more speed.

·
Banned
843 Posts
The string nock doesnt really create significant drag,it is mass,mass has weight and it has to be driven the length your draw to your brace hieght.That takes a little velocity robbing energy.A couple nocks towards the cams does help the string reduce oscilations slightly and do not travel much because they are next to the cam.Even 7-8 fps + is optimistic.They will quiet the bow very slightly and are a good idea. 3-4 more fps and a lil quieter string is always a good thing.My 1 cam has them on the bottom and my HYBRID has them on the top as well.Does that make it a 2 cam Matt?:confused: :p

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
speed balls

As always thank you guys
Speed balls has been a bit of a confusion to me and probably many more archers as usual I have found the answer on A/T, and I guess now that if you had a bow without them, you mite try them to gain a few F/P/S extra, great answer guys
Good shooting all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts