Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some scouting for another bear spot from google map. Found a nice remote public land where i needed to drive couple miles on an old logging road and then cross a 100 mile wide swamp with real thick stuff, then climb a 300 mile elevated hill up in the mountain and then down to a little lake with a tight funnel to another lake. around that lake and funnel are more deer poop than i ever seen and the biggest i ever seen too! Like golf balls, no kidding! its also very fresh, with flies still swimming in it.

So should i scout another location for my bear and leave that spot until deer season or should i go ahead and bait bears there regardless?

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
18,779 Posts
I would kill a bear there first and then a deer. I've gotten more pics of deer than bears at some bait sites in Minnesota. Just stick with the sweets and avoid anything that's going to stink the place up, like rotting meat. More for your benefit of having to smell it than it bothering the deer. Judging from what I've seen firsthand bear bait stations don't have that big effect on deer movement unless maybe it's in the middle of a bedding area. My biggest concern for you would be the 400 mile walk to keep the bait station going. That wil get old in a hurry.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
The 300 mile hill has to be a show stopper too.:eek:
:jksign::welcomesign:
I would keep my bait close to the waters edge.less chance of disturbing the white tail although they are curious too and will probably check out the bait.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i just thought of this afterwards, it will be a pain to drag the meat back... you cannot even get there with a 4-wheeler, even a motocross. I suppose ill have to cut it in a hurry before i get any wolves around. But juging from the poo size, do you think it could be a moose? but there are so many piles thats it cannot just be a single animal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts